Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bourbon 'Barrel' Stout question  (Read 7635 times)

Offline raddly

• 1st Kit
Bourbon 'Barrel' Stout question
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:43 pm »
I'm considering brewing a bourbon stout.  For a base, I'm thinking of relying on Jamil's 'Foreign Extra Stout'-- the dry version, rather than the tropical.  Good idea or not?  If not, any decent ideas on a recipe based on extract with steeping grains? 

As for the bourbon flavoring, is it worth soaking French Oak cubes in bourbon (2 oz)?  I figure I'll also add bourbon to the secondary, though I'm uncertain as to how much.  Is 16oz about right?  Would it make sense to start lower and add as it sits in secondary? 

Any other way to mimic the bourbon barrel styles out there that you can think of?

Thanks,
Radd 

Offline raddly

• 1st Kit
Re: Bourbon 'Barrel' Stout question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:41:33 pm »
Damnit.  Just realized I posted this to the 'extract' section, rather than general discussion.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »
Damnit.  Just realized I posted this to the 'extract' section, rather than general discussion.
like magic
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:18:04 am »
I think 16 oz. would be a lot of bourbon in a five gallon batch.

I've used American oak chips and I soak them in bourbon in an 8 oz. Ball jar.  I think you get about 2 oz. or so of chips in the small jar.  I haven't measured out the bourbon, but less than 8 oz.

You can get 4 oz of chips in a pint jar, but in my experience that seems like it might be too much.

I just did an 8 oz. jar into a split batch, so it was 2.5 gallons.  The oak is very present compared to when I've done it into a 5 gallon batch.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:55:33 pm »
I would use American oak. American oak is all about aroma. It has twice the amount of aroma compounds compared to French or Hungarian. French and Hungarian provide more structuring tannins, but the big vanilla nose is what makes bourbon unique.

I usually use about 1oz oak per 5 gallons, but I soak them in bourbon like Joe recommends. I use about 8oz of bourbon.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »
Denny's BVIP calls for 10 ml per pint - in 5 gallons that's 400 mls, or about 13.5 ounces.  Based on that a pint doesn't seem out of control.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline twomississippi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:45:27 pm »
I've had success soaking 2 oz of oak cubes before adding them to the secondary. I added them without the bourbon, then added 8oz of bourbon during bottling.

Mine was a 5 gallon batch of about 5% abv stout. Came with plenty of bourbon character, while still being a stout.

As for your batch... there's only one way to find out...

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:24 pm »
I like to soak a whole bottle's worth of bourbon in oak chips for a week or so. It makes a tremendously flavorful bourbon that's great for mixed drinks. I'm a nut for oak though, so YMMV.

One thing to keep in mind when adding the bourbon to the beer is that bourbon is sweet. I added 16oz of bourbon to a fairly sweet stout and found it to be too sweet for my liking, so I usually stick to 8oz now.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.