Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice for Shipping AHEM *Yeast Samples* to NHC  (Read 4820 times)

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
Advice for Shipping AHEM *Yeast Samples* to NHC
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »
My club is planning on shipping our kegs out to NHC this year via private courier. We've received quotes from two, one using a refrigerated truck and another a non-refrigerated trailer. Although we prefer to keep the stuff cold on its three day journey, the cost MUCH more for refrigerated transport (on the level of 250% more).

Should we not worry so much about whether the kegs are cold en route? Simply RDWHAHB?

Any advice is welcome...

Geoff
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:32:15 pm by brewblogger »

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Advice for Shipping AHEM *Yeast Samples* to NHC
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:40:23 am »
For 250% more I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. Shipping a pallet must be expensive as it is and if it were driven in a car it would not be refrigerated.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:55:14 am »
There were kegs from MI last year at San Diego. Those were collected and shipped by Adventures in Homebrewing (shameless plug for my LHBS), and were cold when dropped off and kept in a tight group when in the shop. They were then wrapped with plastic wrap on the shipping pallet. The truck was not refrigerated, and they said it was hot in the trailer when the kegs were loaded. The truck had to drive through the desert Southwest.

My beer was a CAP, and it was the lightest color and lowest ABV, nothing to hide behind. We all said if the CAP made it the rest would be good. It was fine. The comments from high ranking BJCP judges were positive and gratifying. I would say save the money and ship warm.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:11:55 pm »
There were kegs from MI last year at San Diego. Those were collected and shipped by Adventures in Homebrewing (shameless plug for my LHBS), and were cold when dropped off and kept in a tight group when in the shop. They were then wrapped with plastic wrap on the shipping pallet. The truck was not refrigerated, and they said it was hot in the trailer when the kegs were loaded. The truck had to drive through the desert Southwest.

I was thinking the same thing - multiple kegs wrapped together is a huge thermal mass.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline aa7yy

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:45:12 pm »
That's only 1300 miles. Must be Union Drivers. Maybe a couple of single guy members should do it. Less the 24 hours on the road. Doesn't get warm till western Idaho.

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:52:27 pm »
That's only 1300 miles. Must be Union Drivers. Maybe a couple of single guy members should do it. Less the 24 hours on the road. Doesn't get warm till western Idaho.

Unfortunately, we don't have the option this year. With the conference selling out so quick, our driving brothers and sisters weren't able to get tickets. Hopefully, there will be more offered next year so those with the penchant for road trips will be able to transport our kegs.

Anywhoo, we're thinking that the non-refrigerated transport is the way we'll go.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:11:40 am »
Tom and I almost decided to drive but considering I will just be getting home from 1 1/2 years away 6 days before the NHC I could not see adding 2 - 4 more days to my trip by driving. I am amazed my wife is letting me go at all.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
Welcome home Scott! Thanks for all your service in Afghanistan. Bet'll be nice to get back to brewing again...

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:18 am »
I am not home yet - but it is getting close. 2 more weeks !

It will be nice to drink a beer again too  8)

Thanks
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout