Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How's your Thermapen?  (Read 38370 times)

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How's your Thermapen?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 02:45:39 pm »
Ancient proverb states that a brewer with just one thermometer always knows his temperatures, whereas a brewer with 2 or more never does.  ;D
Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Mountain Ale & Lager Tasters MALT)
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG)
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen (FORD)

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 02:50:01 pm »
The one I had heard was "Never take two chronometers to sea. Always take one or three."
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 07:03:40 am »
I had a thermapen [sic] for a couple of years and was asked to do the pH thing at
a neighbors brew; he has a Milwaukee sm102. When I got home, I threw the
"pen" in the garbage and ordered a real pH meter. But, that's how I roll.

Therma pen is a thermometer not a pH meter. two totally different things. I think you might have tossed some money away there man
I had it bolloxed, sorry about that. I was thinking of the Hanna brand unites, which I don't think much of.
The Thermapen is a great product, which is fast and accurate. I use my wife's to calibrate the pids. As for
the eye rollers out their; your 50s will be an education.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 07:32:04 am »
Ancient proverb states that a brewer with just one thermometer always knows his temperatures, whereas a brewer with 2 or more never does.  ;D
I bought a NIST traceable partial immersion lab thermometer from Cynmar to calibrate two dial thermometers, two Ranco probes and my hand held digital. Interesting enough, my family of thermometers were between 7 and 8 Deg F off (high). I did the ice bath and boiling point tests on the new one and got 34 and 221 F respectively. They sent me a another one and it registered 35 and 222 F! My brand new Thermapen is stable in the ice bath at 32.1F, so I'm now back to just one and finally happy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:33:08 am by gmwren »

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:28 am »
I just got mine a few weeks ago and have used it for two brew sessions. I absolutely love it. Super accurate, super fast readings. I can't believe it took me so long to pull the trigger!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline linenoiz

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 11:52:29 am »
If anyone is interested, there is a sale on "open box" thermapens here for $69. Just got mine today, can't wait to give it a whirl.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 12:03:48 pm »
I guess the only complaint I have is the orientation. The design appears to be for a left handed individual? Meaning one needs to hold it in their right hand to use and read and if they are to use the other hand at the same time it gets awkward if they are a righty.

My preference would be to hold it in my left hand, or have the probe swivel the 340 degrees and the read out flip so it can be read that way if needed.

So there's room for improvement.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:05 pm »
If anyone is interested, there is a sale on "open box" thermapens here for $69. Just got mine today, can't wait to give it a whirl.
Thanks I just ordered one.  Pink.  I figure it will be easier to spot in the mess I call my brewery.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 11:35:55 am »
I like my Thermapen.  Really lets you know how different the temp is in your mash even just a few inches apart.
Jesse

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 09:57:16 am »
I guess the only complaint I have is the orientation. The design appears to be for a left handed individual? Meaning one needs to hold it in their right hand to use and read and if they are to use the other hand at the same time it gets awkward if they are a righty.

My preference would be to hold it in my left hand, or have the probe swivel the 340 degrees and the read out flip so it can be read that way if needed.

So there's room for improvement.

Thermapens are awesome.... but I have the same issue with the "handedness" of them. A buddy of mine who runs a small food processing facility got me on to Thermoworks stuff a couple years ago... he once called them and asked them to make a mirror image one... I forget what their answer was but it obviously hasn't happened yet.

I'll plug one more thing from them... the mini Thermocouple... http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html  costs $43 and accepts any K-type probe.  It's not quite as fast as the Thermapen but it works for my applications, and it's more versatile.

I got one of these and a 6ft heavy duty wire probe that I can snake into my mashing cooler and get constant temps... I also drape this around my whirlpool IC before adding wort to kettle for the boil, then during chilling I have realtime temp feedback. Real slick.  Of course they sell a million other K-probes of which I have 3 or 4 more for use in cooking, etc. 

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:13 pm »
Thanks I just ordered one.  Pink.  I figure it will be easier to spot in the mess I call my brewery.

Someone needs to write a research paper on the effect of the AHA Forum on homebrewing expenditures. Once upon a time I was perfectly happy with a simple analog thermometer. Then I had to have a $20 thermometer. It died recently, but did I replace it with something similar? No, I bought an "open box" thermapen, based on the suggestion above. At least I know I'll love it.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »
Muahahah ha ha haaah... :D

Yes- IMO every equipment purchase should be considered carefully, lest it trigger an avalanche of "upgrades" to accommodate the functionality of the well intentioned purchase.

But you should be safe with the Thermapen. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »
KGS  - You will be happy with the Thermopen.

It is no unitasker - brewing, cooking, what is the temperature in this room, and so on.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:45 pm »

Someone needs to write a research paper on the effect of the AHA Forum on homebrewing expenditures. Once upon a time I was perfectly happy with a simple analog thermometer. Then I had to have a $20 thermometer. It died recently, but did I replace it with something similar? No, I bought an "open box" thermapen, based on the suggestion above. At least I know I'll love it.
I've been thinking the same thing every time a post like that makes me go buy something :)  I wonder if they see a surge in sales and think "did this get posted somewhere?"
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 09:08:51 pm »
not only did my (bright green) thermopen already arrive... the box included a tiny package of JellyBelly jellybeans!

I'm already looking for reasons to use it other than homebrewing. HOLD STILL KITTIES...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member