Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clogged Keg  (Read 12957 times)

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
Clogged Keg
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:22:40 pm »
I just finished carbonating a batch of beer and hooked it up to my draft system to pour off a test batch and I can't get any flow off the keg.  I looked in the lines and it looks like there is a few inches of sediment in the line heading up to the tap about 5 inches above the keg.  When I try to pour no beer flows up behind this line of sediment.  I've trouble shooted my system and tried the same keg on a line I know works well but to no avail.

Could there be a chunk of sediment clogging the inside of the keg?  I added gelatin to the keg as a clarifying agent like always and I've never had this problem.  Any ideas on how to fix this problem?  I pumped the pressure up to about 30 psi and still had no movement. 

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Clogged Keg
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:30:40 pm »
I had something similar happen to me recently where I was getting a slow and weak pour and what came out had some sediment.  I took out the dip tube and covered the opening with some foil.  I quickly rinsed out the dip tube, re-sanitized and replaced the tube.  The beer then poured like it should and it tasted great.  This was an IPA that got too much sediment (mostly hop particles) while transferring to the keg. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:34:38 am »
hook up a black qd to your gas line and blow back down the liquid line to clear it.  it is easier if you have swivel fittings on all your hoses.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:19 am »
If you clean the dip tube, also take time to remove the poppet from the post, clean. sanitize, assemble.  Have plugged those up with hop particles.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:47 am »
I have a problem keg that has the end of the dip tube turning and the opening is flush with the bottom of the keg.  This rotation only occurs with the final tightening of the fluid-out post--so I have to tighten it just enough to seal it, but not enough to rotate the dip tube and block the outflow.  When rotated, the result is very much like when you hold your hand right in front of the vacuum cleaner attachment--the flow shuts down real fast, and you're lucky to get a half an ounce out.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:30 am »
I have a problem keg that has the end of the dip tube turning and the opening is flush with the bottom of the keg.  This rotation only occurs with the final tightening of the fluid-out post--so I have to tighten it just enough to seal it, but not enough to rotate the dip tube and block the outflow.  When rotated, the result is very much like when you hold your hand right in front of the vacuum cleaner attachment--the flow shuts down real fast, and you're lucky to get a half an ounce out.
I had a similar problem. Took out the dip tube, cut 1/2 inch off the bottom and it pours like a dream. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:30 am »
I had a similar problem. Took out the dip tube, cut 1/2 inch off the bottom and it pours like a dream.

I dealt with exactly this until the final pint of beer as I didn't want to open the keg.  I think I have two kegs with the bent tubes.  Definitely you cannot torque down on the post or the tube swivels and closes off.  I thought about cutting it, but it seems to seal just fine without the last torque.

When blocked, what I get is tons of foam.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:49:35 am »
I clogged a keg with gelatin once.
Brew on

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:10 am »
I clogged a keg with gelatin once.

You shouldn't clog my keg Johnny. My mother clogged my keg once... once  ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »
I've also clogged a keg with gelatin. You may have to pull the dip tube if you can't blow it out with CO2.
Ron Price