Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: jockey boxes and low carbonation  (Read 2605 times)

Offline muddypuddle

• Cellarman
jockey boxes and low carbonation
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »
i've got a kegorator and seem to have it pretty dialed-in/balanced for various styles. never much more that a slight tweak in psi one way or the other.

i regularly pour at events (bdays, weddings, corporate gigs) and it never fails. a beer that is carbed up nicely at home, has noticeably less carbonation coming out of the jockey (i have a 2 tap, 50' s/s coil version and a 4 tap, cold plate version).

any advice? i have tried "over-carbing" slightly at home, but same issue persists.

thanks for your time-

phil

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: jockey boxes and low carbonation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »
Just a stab in the dark having no personal experience with the equipment you're discussing. Are you chilling/serving it significantly colder with the jockey box than with your kegerator at home?
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline muddypuddle

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »
thanks for the response.

i do not think that the serving temp is significantly cooler, although that may be an issue.  i typically have my kego at home set to 38 and for jockey box dispensing i throw in a 7-10# ice bag and water over the coils or chill plate.

kegs are chilled at home to serving temp, but left at enviro temp for event, not in ice tubs. 

thanks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:36:44 pm »
That beer is going to get pretty cold going through the ice bath. maybe even close to or under 32. I don't know if that explains it but if the beer was colder the same level of carb would seem like less.

**EDIT**

also if the keg is properly carbed at 38 at home and it is at ambient on location the same PSI will result is loss of carb. The beer will not be able to hold on to the same amount of co2 at 45 and 8psi as it was able to hold onto at 38 and 8 psi but I would think that would result in gradual decrease in carbonation not instant.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:38:32 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline muddypuddle

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »
thanks for the response morticaaixavier.

i think you have something there with the cold beer & carb perception angle.  good thought, thanks!  i'll try to dial in temp better for the jockey box.

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:33:23 pm »
I would definitely recommend icing the kegs.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals