Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping - in keg in kegerator vs. in fermenter at room temps  (Read 2206 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
It seems that keg dry hopping should provide the freshest hop flavor into the glass, although, if done within the cold temps of a kegerator (mine is at 33F), it obviously must take more days to extract the hop flavor, as compared to when done in a room temperature fermenter.  I use sanitized nylon hop bags in the keg, that I can remove when I choose to (so hops don't impart a grassy flavor from being in there too long, etc.).  Assuming we are not talking about more than a couple ounces of hops per keg, are there any reasons to dry hop at room temps in a fermenter  rather than in the keg?  Thanks!   

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Dry hopping - in keg in kegerator vs. in fermenter at room temps
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:23 pm »
I have dry hopped in a fermentor as well as in a keg.  I'm not sure that I noticed a difference.  I would say if your process for dry hopping works and provides the desired results then keep doing it that way.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »
I read a study some time ago about staling in beer. They found that more heavily hopped beers degraded much more quickly than other beers at higher temps. Usually if you're dry hopping, you probably have a fair amount of bittering and flavoring hops as well. If you're planning to keep the beer for any length of time, it's best to keep the beer as cold as possible at all times.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:34:35 pm »
Makes sense to me.  I imagine that brewers who keg still sometimes dry hop pre-kegging mostly 1) to get better extraction times so as to get beer fully flavored more quickly and evenly, especially since the hop oils will be mixed well when racked post dry-hop, 2) to dial in the dry-hop period, at room temps usually around 7 - 14 days, and 3) so as not to have to mess around with hop bags in a keg.  But many just keg hop!