Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single hop beer  (Read 6323 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Single hop beer
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:51:10 am »
I use the method that was in BYO magazine not that long ago.
I have sort of modified it slightly but the basic method was something like this.  I may not have the temps exact but this would be pretty close.
Take 5 lbs malt, Maris Otter was recommended although I use pale.
Place in a backing dish about an inch thick.
Heat at the following:
185F for 25 - 30 mins
195F for 25 - 30 mins
210F for 25 to 30 mins
220F for 25 to 30 mins
230F for 25 to 30 mins
250F for 30 mins - check colour of grain.  Should be a pale buff colour (you are checking the starch on the inside, not the husk so you have to break open kernels.  If not buff, leave another 30 mins and check.

As you can see, that's a lot of steps and my stove isn't that exact that I think a 10 degree increase does very much.  
So, I go
190 for 45 mins
210 for 45 mins
230 for 45 mins
250 until I think it's the right colour. There's always some that are coloured and some that are still sort of white so at this point, I just turn off the oven and let it cool in there overnight.  The grain probably won't look that different on the outside, it's the starch inside that seems to matter so don't worry if it doesn't look "amber" when you're done.

I really like what this adds to beers and gives a real nice toasted grain flavour.  I use it in almost all my APA's etc now.  You can also just buy amber malt but I think that the fresh roasted is nicer when used fresh.  It really gives the kitchen a warm, malty aroma while it's roasting.  It's easy to put it in, set the timer and then just come back and up the temps so although it takes a while, you can do a lot while it's roasting.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:02 pm »
If you're going to go single hop, why not keep it single malt too. SMaSH all the way. :) I'm planning a Vienna/Simcoe AIPA soon...

I thought about it, and probably for another brew day.  My "single hop beer" has kind of evolved into a let's play with all cascade hops and munich malt.  Sometimes I like simple, sometimes I like taking a simple concept and developing something a little more complex.  (Plus it sounds delicious!)
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 06:37:54 am »
Here's what I came up with.  It's about 60% munich malt.  (Munich malt extract from NB is 50/50 munich/pale).  The late addition of extract is a little odd but necessary to keep the OG down around 1.051.  I wanted as much Munich as possible since everyone seems to say that higher amounts of munich are tasty.

Partial Mash
Batch: 5gal
Boil: 3gal
Est. OG: 1.051
SRM: 12ish
IBU: 27-28.

The Mash
--------------
2.75 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb American 2-Row
0.5 lb Crystal 120

Mash (1.4 qt/lb) at 154 for 60 min.  Batch sparge with 2 steps.

3.15 lb Munich Malt Extract
1.00 oz Cascade Hops (60 min)
1.57 lb Munich Malt Extract (30 min addition)
1.00 oz Cascade Hops (20 min)
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (10 min)
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (5 min)
1 oz Cascade Hops (0 min)

Wyeast 1056

Dry Hop with 2oz cascade for 7 days.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:41 am »
If you're going to go single hop, why not keep it single malt too. SMaSH all the way. :) I'm planning a Vienna/Simcoe AIPA soon...

This is why I recommended a floor malted MO as the base and going 100%. I find that this is a great way to give the beer a malt back bone that is interesting enough to stand on its own but that stands out of the way enough to really get a grasp of what the hops are trying to tell you.