Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Wort Hopping and 90 minute boil  (Read 10452 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First Wort Hopping and 90 minute boil
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 02:25:29 pm »
Agreed, I FWH nearly all of my beers. I find the hop flavor to be more complex and pleasing as opposed to adding a bittering addition.

I've found that I don't get the bitterness I want by skipping a bittering addition in favor of FWH.  I FWH many of my beers but my primary goal in doing it is the flavor.  It does add bitterness of course but in my experience it's much less than say a 60 minute addition.  Or at least the perception of the bitterness is less. 

Same here.  Once in a while I want the specific quality of bitterness I get from doing FWH and skipping the 60 min. addition, but more often than not I do both.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: First Wort Hopping and 90 minute boil
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »
I did an all FWH kolsch and it turned out great.  I did the same thing with an ESB and the bitterness wasn't nearly what I wanted.
Clint
Wort Hogs