Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP San Diego Super Yeast (user update)  (Read 19357 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: WLP San Diego Super Yeast (user update)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:16:00 am »
you want to hear something funny?  I don't know if its the power of suggestion or what, but the hop aroma seems to have mellowed on the IPA (green flash clone)  I brewed with this yeast, and I am now getting a pretty strong fruity aroma - it *seems* more yeast driven than hop driven.  I have another batch of IPA in the fermenter (my house recipe, usually done with 001) that since I know the hop aroma very well, I should be able to determine if it truly is the yeast that is causing this.

What I am getting right now is even more fruity than 051/1272.  Not really digging it. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »
One other thing I noticed this week with WLP090....

The yeast was 1/4 of the cake from a prev batch that I fed 2L of starter wort on a stir plate, let ferment out , stored in fridge for three weeks, pulled it out, decanted beer, fed it 2L of starter work and hit it with air from a pump/airstone for 15 minutes every 4 hours over a 12 hour period.  (so 4 hits of air)  fermentation looked normal but....

When I tasted the starter, it tasted like a belgian!?!?

I wonder what caused that?  I have pitched it into a porter any way...we will see if it turns out ok.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 07:57:15 pm »
I think your suggestion on gallon fermenters (or perhaps a 12 gallon batch in 3 different plastic buckets as fermenters) would be an interesting comparison - WLP 029 in one, WLP 090 in another and something like US-05 in the third.  Temperatures for each would be key - what would you do each of them at?

I have used both 029 and US-05 at mid-50's with good results...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »
I think your suggestion on gallon fermenters (or perhaps a 12 gallon batch in 3 different plastic buckets as fermenters) would be an interesting comparison - WLP 029 in one, WLP 090 in another and something like US-05 in the third.  Temperatures for each would be key - what would you do each of them at?

I have used both 029 and US-05 at mid-50's with good results...

I agree 029 at 56 to 58F.... Us-05  I have only ever gone as low as 62F(It still fermented plenty fast, so lower is possible).

As for 090... I have not done a low temp batch yet.  Maybe around Christmas I will have the time to drip a few yeasts into gallon jugs and see what happens.   

Any one have two more yeasts to comapre?  I can compare 5 or 6 different types at a time...

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline blatz

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 07:42:17 am »
UPDATE:  I now have had a taste from second batch using this yeast, and the same fruity ester aroma dominates (both batches were IPAs but different recipes).  I've changed my mind - I don't think I like it and not sure that I will use it again - I prefer the more neutral ester profile of 001 to this.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »
Blatz,
I don't generally brew big IPAs, so hearing about your experience really helps.  What temp did you ferment at?  I am starting to think that this is more like an  suped up 002 than an 001.  Good to know that it works well with malt forward beers and that it tends to suppress hop flavor (I think that is what I got from your posts). 

Offline blatz

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 01:43:00 pm »
Blatz,
I don't generally brew big IPAs, so hearing about your experience really helps.  What temp did you ferment at?  I am starting to think that this is more like an  suped up 002 than an 001.  Good to know that it works well with malt forward beers and that it tends to suppress hop flavor (I think that is what I got from your posts). 

Suped up 051 is more like what I think - I get a lot of the same character from Cali V 051 that I do on this one.

Its a good yeast, but its just not one that I dig - 001 is hard to beat for me and what I brew.  And when I want a little english character, i spring for 013 - London Ale.  I think its just me.

As for malty beers, I gave my last 2 vials of SSY to a friend who made a porter with it a week or 2 ago - I'll be tasting that one soon and can report back. 

Offline jzynel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 07:45:31 pm »
I have used this strain on 3 beers now and it is going to be my house yeast.  I am really happy with the results.  The three beers I brewed were a barleywine, a double IPA and a Christmas Ale.  The initial gravities were 1.080 to 1.120 on the various styles.  All three where done fermenting within 3 to 5 days at 68 degrees and the FG on all three was 1.010. 

I used a 1L starter for all three.  The starter was done in 24 hours on a stirplate.  I cold crashed, decanted and then allowed to warm for an hour before pitching.  Fermentation started anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. 

The yeast settled out one day after airlock activity and the beer cleared great. 

This yeast is awesome and very alcohol tolerant.  I have slanted it for future use.   

I highly recommend this yeast for any beer in which you want a clean fermentation.

Joe Zynel

Offline drmario47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 08:54:26 am »
I used this yeast on a blonde ale. Worked great, clean taste, very quick fermentation. Definitely recommend it. Sent the blonde ale that I fermented with San Diego Super Yeast to Sam Adams for the Patriot Homebrew contest. Hope I get some good feedback.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 12:46:20 pm »
First time using SD Super and I am wondering if anyone has opened one of these and it explodes like a Pepsi on a hot day? I lost about a third of the vial and quickly jammed the rest in the carboy. I assume I will be alright but I was not expecting that.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »
First time using SD Super and I am wondering if anyone has opened one of these and it explodes like a Pepsi on a hot day? I lost about a third of the vial and quickly jammed the rest in the carboy. I assume I will be alright but I was not expecting that.
I just used it for the first time this weekend and the same thing happened to me. I made a pretty big starter though so I'm not concerned with the loss so much as I am with the unexpected mess.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett