Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How hard is it to be a pro brewer?  (Read 21158 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: How hard is it to be a pro brewer?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »
Agreed re:food carts. I actually suggested the same thing to someone in another thread. I lived in Denver for about 5 years, and Great Divide has been partnering with food trucks at their taproom for a while now.

We're looking for breweries or pubs in the Caribbean. There are a handful for sale right now in our price range, but we're not really close to being able to pull the trigger. I'm leaning more towards a brewpub. I've only been to a few places in the Caribbean, but the beer was bad and the food was worse. With how many fancy white guys go there on vacation, I'm surprised there isn't better food and drink.

My wife would be running the kitchen if we go that route, so I'm not concerned about the food at all. She's way better at cooking than I am at brewing, and she has experience running kitchens.

I've thought about distilling a few times, but I don't know much about that. Is it easier/cheaper to make money distilling?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:19 pm »
We're looking for breweries or pubs in the Caribbean. There are a handful for sale right now in our price range, but we're not really close to being able to pull the trigger. I'm leaning more towards a brewpub. I've only been to a few places in the Caribbean, but the beer was bad and the food was worse. With how many fancy white guys go there on vacation, I'm surprised there isn't better food and drink.

Do your due diligence.
It is often difficult, if not impossible, for foreigners (i.e., US citizens) to set up a brewery or alcohol-related business in a different country.
You can't in Belize, for example.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »
Do your due diligence.
It is often difficult, if not impossible, for foreigners (i.e., US citizens) to set up a brewery or alcohol-related business in a different country.
You can't in Belize, for example.

That's interesting. Where did you find that out? Do you know any resources to look for that sort of thing?

The breweries we found for sale are owned by foreigners, but none of them are in Belize.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:54 am »
There is a brewery near me with a "tasting room" that is as nice as any brewpub I've been to.  Their food consists of pretzels, but you are welcome to bring your own food and there is a pizza place nearby that delivers to the brewery all of the time (and has theme pizzas to go with beers - they have a great relationship).  The brewery is always packed, and will give you plates/napkins/utensils if you need them.

Just like you don't want to serve crappy beer, don't serve crappy food.  If you can't do it right, save the money on the kitchen and just let people bring their own food.
I like this business model.  The brewpub I go to most often around here is like that.  They just have popcorn.  They also have guest beers every Thursday from Midwest breweries.  There's several places to get food from around there.  Kinda sucks that you can't just have someone bring it to you, like your waiting staff, but whatever.  They still draw a good crowd. 
Jesse

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:14 pm »
http://belize.com/belikin-beer-belize

the Bowden estate owns over 1/6th of all the land in Belize.
they have the monopoly on both Coca-cola (no Pepsi in Belize) and beer (Belikin).

A craft brewer is still unable to brew his own beers legally in Belize--I recently met a nice young American couple in San Pedro, Ambergis Caye, Belize, C.A.  As I understand it, they had some money and a dream to open Ambergis Brewing Company selling coffee, pastries, light meals, and craft beer.  They're able to do everything but the craft beer, approval for which are still going through appeals and reviews...i.e., stonewalling.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ambergris-Brewing-Company/183617811648761

Just a cautionary tale.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:09 pm »
My dream is too have a very small brewery when I retire.  Pints and growler fills only, no onsite food. It seems like a big hassle(kitchen, employees, health department). My local brewery is pints and growlers only and they are doing very well. People bring in their own food, get food delivered, and of course they have food trucks on weekends. I really think this might become the wave of the future for breweries.....actually it sounds like it already is.

Offline bob

• Conference
  • Cellarman
  • Prez for Life - Yeast Coasters - West Michigan
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 10:56:21 am »
We will be having a corner BREWERY on every street corner by the time all us boomers retire!
Bob

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 09:01:04 pm »
Food trucks and serving local breweries best beers along with your beer is what you maybe banking on.  A tap room should not compete with the local bars, you are selling kegs to them (if a package brewery) . Close early and hand out drink chips. I never knew you could get NG Belgian Red on tap until I went to a friends brewery and tap room.

Ever try that?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:40 pm »
You may already be a pro. You don't have to sell or produce mass quantities to be a professional.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:56 pm »
You may already be a pro. You don't have to sell or produce mass quantities to be a professional.

you do however have to get paid for it. otherwise you are an amatuer
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 09:32:06 pm »

Money doesn't make you a better brewer, nor does it make you a pro. I know many people that are hobbyists in various fields, that I'd put up against most "pros" in a minute.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 09:33:13 pm »

Money doesn't make you a better brewer, nor does it make you a pro. I know many people that are hobbyists in various fields, that I'd put up against most "pros" in a minute.

yeah that's true. I also know lots of people who could go up against pros but the definition of professional is that you get paid for it. amateur means you do it for the love of the thing.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 09:44:37 pm »
A registered professional engineer can get certified as such and never make a penny doing it.  He's still very much a pro. There are many certifications that this applies to. Maybe a buddy gives me a dollar for a homebrew. Am I a pro? Not in my book.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:55 pm »
A registered professional engineer can get certified as such and never make a penny doing it.  He's still very much a pro. There are many certifications that this applies to. Maybe a buddy gives me a dollar for a homebrew. Am I a pro? Not in my book.

"pro·fes·sion·al   [pruh-fesh-uh-nl]  Show IPA
adjective
1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
2. of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.
3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
4. engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.
5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer."

and

"am·a·teur   [am-uh-choor, -cher, -ter, am-uh-tur] Show IPA
noun
1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Compare professional.
2. an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize."
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 11:05:58 pm »
I don't know about this whole amateur vs. pro thing... ::)  I like to see brewing as more of an art form than a "profession". That being said I have friends who play in bar bands on weekends. They get paid but they definetly don't consider themselves "professional".  They do it because they love it, but I am sure it is nice to make a little on the side.  Kinda sad but ultimately it is the government who decides who is professional.....