Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Rye  (Read 3472 times)

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
Rye
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:03:05 am »
I brewed a specialty rye beer and have some concern about it having a slick mouthfeel. It’s a 1.075 OG recipe that had 40% rye (30% malted / 10% flaked) and 80 IBU's of American hops. Kind of a Roggenbier meets American IPA experiment. It's tasty, but I’m thinking the mouthfeel might be a distracting problem.

So, here's the question. Is it even a problem? In a BJCP competition, would slick mouthfeel take away points in a rye based beer in the Specialty Beer category? The guidelines describe a Roggenbier as having a medium to full body, but nothing specifically about slickness. Any judges or someone experienced with rye beers have an opinion on how the beer would do in a contest?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:09:33 am by tesgüino »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rye
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:57:31 am »
A rye beer is expected to have a certain amount of slickness in the mouthfeel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:18:33 pm »
Thanks Denny. I suppose the trick is knowing how much a "certain amount" is. There's a local competition coming up where I could find out where this stands. Just hate the thought of submitting something that they would consider awful.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 03:13:59 pm »
I'm not a judge, but you can send me a bottle and I'll tell you if it's awful or not.  ;D

I love rye beers, btw.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »
I brewed a specialty rye beer and have some concern about it having a slick mouthfeel. It’s a 1.075 OG recipe that had 40% rye (30% malted / 10% flaked) and 80 IBU's of American hops. Kind of a Roggenbier meets American IPA experiment. It's tasty, but I’m thinking the mouthfeel might be a distracting problem.

If the "slickness" is a creaminess and chewiness from the protein in the rye, you're fine. If it's due to diacetyl (i.e., buttery or butterscotch aroma or flavor, lingering "oily" slickness in mouthfeel) it's a fault.

The difference in texture is the mouth texture of gravy or oatmeal vs. the mouth texture of artificial butter.

Enter the beer in category 23 as a "Rye IPA" and any judge worth his salt will know what it is.

If you have any questions before you enter the beer in competition, scare up a ranked BJCP judge and have them taste and critique your beer. No need to spend money and time to enter a beer that's not going to be competitive.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:41:39 am »
My impression is that the effect is primarily the result of high beta glucan concentration in the beer.  Even though rye has less beta glucan production than oats and barley, the high percentage of rye added to the grist in the pursuit of rye's spicy flavor is what is pushes the overall beta glucan into the different or weird mouthfeel range.  I suppose it could also be termed a slickness in the mouthfeel. 

I did several beers with several percent flaked barley last year and they had moussy head production and a very interesting mouthfeel.  They were interesting experiments, but it was clear to me that I overdid the effect.  Excessive beta glucan does not really improve a beer. 

Given that we are going after the flavor of the rye in a beer like this, I have the feeling that this is a case when a brewer would want to employ a beta glucan rest in the mash to help reduce that effect while leaving the flavor. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
I find that unless special measures are taken including protein rest, beta-glucan rest, prolonged mash temperature in the 140s, etc., rye will give you a thick, chewy, and creamy body and mouthfeel with a thick, creamy head.  It's very much expected out of a beer such as yours with 40% rye.  Whether the judges will know this fact or not, who knows.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.