Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Temps.  (Read 6372 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Mash Temps.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 11:46:16 am »
How deep are you taking your readings? It has to be deep within the bed I've found.

And the reason I say that is even in my Coleman 70qt Extreme (dark-green) there was a 3-6 degree drop after 60+ minutes. Couldn't  keep the mash out of the upper 140's while aiming for 153. I was fighting with this for years until out of frustration jammed the probe in deep and my fingers were nearly in the wort.

The temp was spot on. :-)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »
i've been using the same cooler for more than 6 years and don't know what color it is, had to go out in the garage and look. its grey, will that work?

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »
Blue...of course.  I got the blue one for the improved efficiency.

Yep...blue will get your efficiency up to 137%!

...but only if you mash on Sundays.  ;D

OK, I'll bite...what is the history of the blue cooler meme?  I imagine someone thought the outside color of a cooler had an effect on its ability to hold a temperature?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 11:45:49 pm »
Blue...of course.  I got the blue one for the improved efficiency.

Yep...blue will get your efficiency up to 137%!

...but only if you mash on Sundays.  ;D

OK, I'll bite...what is the history of the blue cooler meme?  I imagine someone thought the outside color of a cooler had an effect on its ability to hold a temperature?

the effects of high energy quantum particles are enhanced by the blue plastic of the coleman cooler. This causes the mash to convert past 100% efficiency by moving some starch backwards and forwards in time whilecausing the enzymes to vibrate in n dimension space. This means that a stout can be a porter and a CDA becomes paler than a wit beer while hefeweizens are pushed through the clove phase transition into the banana spectrum modified by mit space.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 02:19:19 am »

the effects of high energy quantum particles are enhanced by the blue plastic of the coleman cooler. This causes the mash to convert past 100% efficiency by moving some starch backwards and forwards in time whilecausing the enzymes to vibrate in n dimension space. This means that a stout can be a porter and a CDA becomes paler than a wit beer while hefeweizens are pushed through the clove phase transition into the banana spectrum modified by mit space.

well duh :D
Don AHA member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 07:02:16 am »
Scroll down.

These are the blue coolers you are looking for.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!