Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water/grist ratio and efficiency  (Read 32326 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: water/grist ratio and efficiency
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 11:18:21 am »
I dont know how much this applies to batch sparging as Ive never really used the method.

However on my Brutus system(fly sparge) I tend to mash most beers at 1.25 qts per lb. Do maltier beers closer to 1 qt per lbs and most lagers and decoction mashes around 1.5-2qts per lb.  Ive noticed no noticeable difference in efficiency based on the water to grist ratio.  I do get slightly higher on decoction mashed lagers but I suspect that to be from the decoction and step mashing itself rather than the water to grist ratio.  I generally get 85% efficiency at 1 qt per lb and 1.5 qt per lb and everywhere in between.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: water/grist ratio and efficiency
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 11:31:23 am »
I've only ever had two stuck mashes, one was half wheat and the other was yesterday.
As you crush finer, you may need to pay attention to flow rate and husk quality.  That means that you may need to start you flow slowly before increasing the runoff rate to prevent compacting the grain bed and malt conditioning to prevent your husks from shredding.
Ive noticed no noticeable difference in efficiency based on the water to grist ratio...
I generally get 85% efficiency at 1 qt per lb and 1.5 qt per lb and everywhere in between.
If you get 85% efficiency, then you won't see an increase from a thinner mash because there is really no room to increase.  The benefit is limited to brewers who get 75% or less, since those brewers are probably not getting complete starch conversion.