Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chicken pot pies :O  (Read 7204 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Chicken pot pies :O
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »
So I have to figure something to do with all this chicken stock.

I went to Boston Market and got a pot pie.

Based on my research, this appears to be a small pie filled with chicken soup thickened by an addition of flour.  Seems fairly simple.  I even have many options here:  I could make the pot pie filling in bulk and can it ahead of time, and make up several pies... I mean I could fill my freezer with 40 or so pies, but that would be ridiculous; if I have that much filling, I can store it for a while.

So I've acquired a tray to make 4 miniature pies, which has a removable bottom... the kind you push up from the bottom with to lift the pie out of wholesale.  These are 4.25 inch pies.  I also acquired a french style rolling pin and a big ass pastry mat.

What I'll do here is roll out the pie filling, fill the pies, top them off, then freeze them.  Cooking them poses a structural problem.  Perhaps I can transfer a frozen pie to a hot oven, in hopes that the pie crust will thaw and cook before the filling liquefies sufficiently to deform the casing.  Or perhaps  I should pre-cook them.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Chicken pot pies :O
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:21:54 pm »
Denny likes turtles.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:43:53 pm »
Its more than just chicken soup in a pie. There's carrots, peas and potatoes as well. Maybe a bit of well cooked celery. Make the filling, portion it out. Then instead of pie crust just make drop-dumplings right into a casserole dish or bowl filled with the filling. Pop into the oven. Or you can make the crust and lay it over the top and bake it like that.

That's the poor man's way. Your pie tins seem interesting but more labor intensive. I'd use them for meat pies.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »
It's really more like chicken stew in a pie crust.

You can make then into a pasty even easier.

Just make the circle of pie crust you would have made. Put filling on half. Fold the other half over. Crimp the edge. Bake. Easy hand pies. Yum.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:15:46 pm »
I've made pot pies and frozen them (unbaked) and baked then straight from  freezer to oven with no issues.  One thing I did find though is that the use of some modified starch in the gravy (to thicken) is a good idea for freezer bound pot pies;   Straight flour or cornstarch thickened gravies break down in storage and become watery thin.  The use of modified starch (corn, wheat, or whatever) prevents this from happening and you won't wind up with chicken soup pies.

There are a few online sources for the modified starch...a Google search will track them down if you feel inclined to try the stuff.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:34 pm »
make a chicken stew in a 9x12 and top with some pie pastry, or get some thing from the refrigerated isle at your grocery. Frozen pie dough works well. Pilsbury has the best except for sratch!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:24 am »
And then deep fry them.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »
wow, 201 bfi posts, now go brew.
Don AHA member

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:31 pm »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 05:23:37 pm »
I think the secret to a great chicken pot pie lies in the crust (no pun intended). A great pie crust is the secret ingredient IMO.  :)
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »
Condensed milk and lots of butter is a must.

I usually make about 2 gallons of mix and then freeze in smaller portions. Just thaw and put in the dish with the crust and bake.

The secret is to cook the mix completely first. It wont cook completely, especially the chicken, without burning the crust. Line the dish with bottom crust and brown, add cooked hot mix, add top crust and brown it.

I use frozen mixed vegatables (green giant) and put in a pot with the condensed milk, a can of chicken stock, and butter and simmer until done. All the while I boil in a seperate pot the chopped chicken and then drain and add to the vegatable mix.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 05:38:41 pm »
Condensed milk and lots of butter is a must.

Awesome looking pie tubercle!  :)
Ron Price

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »
One of my wife's favorites.  Here's one I made for her this evening.  I just sautee up some onions, then add some chicken stock, red potatoes, and some frozen veggies and cook until the potatoes are soft.  I make some roux in a separate pan with butter and flour.  Add enough roux to the rest of the dish and boil.  This makes a nice creamy filling.  Then I line a dish with filo dough (wife hates it when it's just dough on top) and top it off w/ more filo dough.  Brush the top w/ some olive oil, sprinkle a little Parmesan and bake @ 350 for about 30 minutes.  The hard part is waiting until it cools down enough to eat!

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:07 pm »
One thing I did find though is that the use of some modified starch in the gravy (to thicken) is a good idea for freezer bound pot pies;   Straight flour or cornstarch thickened gravies break down in storage and become watery thin.

Have you tried a roux?  It seems to work for me, and I haven't had any issues with freezing my pot-pies.

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:40 pm »
I think the secret to a great chicken pot pie lies in the crust (no pun intended). A great pie crust is the secret ingredient IMO.  :)

Oh yeah.  Have you tried the Cream-cheese pie crust from Berenbaum's Pie and Pastry bible?