Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rhode Island Home Brew Laws  (Read 2285 times)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Rhode Island Home Brew Laws
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »
I have some friends who are getting married and they have asked if I and 3 others would make a 5 gallon batch for consumption at the reception. Does anyone know if that is legal or where to find that information out.  They have a friend licensed to serve alcohol who will man the beverage station. It will be at a rented facility. Thanks.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Rhode Island Home Brew Laws
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:30 am »
I don't know if it's legal or not. but as long as the venue is cool with it there shouldn't be any problems.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:35:40 am »
+1

Just as the venue. Or if the bartender friend has full control over the beverage station, then there shouldn't be any worries.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:41 am »
I hate to say this, but generally the less questions you ask the better. When I got married in Newport the event planner wouldn't let us do a vodka toast (my wife's family is from Poland) because they considered it a "shot". But then the bartender was serving my underage family Jager-bombs all night long.

As long as the bartender is in charge of all the liquor, then just supply him/her with the beer and don't make any waves.

FYI - after a quick glance over the RI General laws, I only see the following statute that addresses homebrewing. I'm not sure if there are any other regs tucked away that cover your specific situation or not. *Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, but I've been known to watch Law & Order on occasion.
   § 3-1-3  Manufacture or sale of cider and manufacture of wines and malt liquors for domestic use exempt from title. – Nothing contained in this title and chapter shall be construed as to prohibit the manufacture of cider, or the sale of cider; or the manufacture of wine or malt liquors for domestic use.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:00 pm »
Well if a "wedding" isn't "domestic use" then I don't know what is...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:19:17 pm »
Yep. The fewer questions the better. Just supply the keg and don't worry about it.
I worked in a certain catering that didn't have alcohol license and held many many many maaaaany wedding every year with hundreds of gallons of booze pouring like a waterfall. Basically what they had were bars on wheels and when inspectors came, they'd just roll them off to storage where all the tables and chair were and covered them with fabric. lol I remember an inspector came during a wedding once and THAT, guys, was some fun bar rolling lol
So don't ask don't tell :)
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA