Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single hop beer  (Read 6328 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Single hop beer
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:24 am »
I've been wanting to do some single hop beers for a while.  I want a slightly maltier background I think than just 2-Row and Crystal malt, like i did in my pale ale. I don't want to go overboard on the malts either so Should I keep some crystal in and add munich and vienna, or just munich?  Or do i get rid of the crystal completely?

After doing some searching this is what I am leaning towards for a grain bill:

2-Row
Munich
Victory
CaraPils/Dextrin
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:47:08 am by madscientist »
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Single hop beer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:07:55 am »
I find I can get a ton of maltiness from 100% munich. If you want even more you can boil longer as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:40 am »
I find I can get a ton of maltiness from 100% munich. If you want even more you can boil longer as well.

I agree with this.
When I use predominately Munich though, I always include some regular 2Row pale though, since the Munich seems to benefit from a little bit of extra help in the enzyme department.

I recently mad a version of my standard porter with 90% Munich and will probably never make it any other way ever again.  It really took it to a whole different level. 
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:57 am »

I agree with this.
When I use predominately Munich though, I always include some regular 2Row pale though, since the Munich seems to benefit from a little bit of extra help in the enzyme department.

I recently mad a version of my standard porter with 90% Munich and will probably never make it any other way ever again.  It really took it to a whole different level. 

I have only used the great western munich 10L but did not have any problems with conversion. I know different malters have different levels of kilning. and regardless I don't think a couple lbs of 2row is going to detract from the munich character. I have found my barley wine recipe from here on out. 100% munich and long 2 hours boil. that was a SMaSH with belgian goldings (belgian cause they don't grow organic EKGs apparently, but the belgian seem fine)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:07:18 am »
For a single hop ale, a little Munich would work well to add that slight maltiness you are looking for. 
Personally, I might drop the Victory to keep it basic. 

Have fun.  What are the hop varieties you are considering?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:48:11 am »

Mort suggested this on another thread and I tried it.  I ended up with 88% Munich, 8.8% homemade Amber, 1.66% C45 and 1.1% C120. 

5 gals disappeared in about 1 week.  One of the best beers I've made so far and really nice malt character.  Needs a lot of hops to balance all that malt though.  Worth trying in my opinion.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »
I like to use an American Amber as a base.  A bit maltier than an APA without going overboard.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:08:30 pm »
For a single hop ale, a little Munich would work well to add that slight maltiness you are looking for. 
Personally, I might drop the Victory to keep it basic. 

Have fun.  What are the hop varieties you are considering?

Was thinking Cascade, Amarillo definately.  Maybe Citra, Centennial, Even something like columbus.  I really want to see what contributes what.  I've used most of these together before, but never by themselves.

You guys have given me a lot of good options.  I might try the Munich/2-Row combo, also gmac's amber combo might be a good route too.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22:06 pm »
My preferred si gle hop base beer is 100% Thomas fawcett Maris otter. It gives you a nice biscuity malt background without having any caramel malt in the way of the hoPs.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:31:22 pm »
I did a "use the rest of my malt" brew yesterday and single hopped with fuggles. I am targeting a malty English Bitter with Golden Promise, some biscuit, wheat and rye and Ye Old Fashion San Diego Super Yeast and to top it off, the zest from the oranges I happened to be eating at the time (seemed like a good idea/experiment).
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »

I also recently brewed a Porter with a much larger percentage of Munich than normal ( I think it was around 40%), and think it is fantastic! Really brought out some stone fruit flavors that I wasn't expecting.

So, I think adding some, or alot, of Munich for body would be a great idea for your single hop varieties. I also agree with another poster that 100% Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter works very well with a single variety.
Kyle M.

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »
I don't think that Munich malt contributes to body any more than 2 row or Pils, just has a different flavor and enzyme level.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:36:53 pm »
I don't think that Munich malt contributes to body any more than 2 row or Pils, just has a different flavor and enzyme level.
Agreed.  No more body but much more maltiness IMO.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:35:23 am »

Mort suggested this on another thread and I tried it.  I ended up with 88% Munich, 8.8% homemade Amber, 1.66% C45 and 1.1% C120. 

5 gals disappeared in about 1 week.  One of the best beers I've made so far and really nice malt character.  Needs a lot of hops to balance all that malt though.  Worth trying in my opinion.

How would one go about making homeade amber malt?  I think i'm going to use a similar base, and make this beer an amber.  I may go the extract route and use the Munich malt extract from NB.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:46:31 am »
If you're going to go single hop, why not keep it single malt too. SMaSH all the way. :) I'm planning a Vienna/Simcoe AIPA soon...