Author Topic: HopRocket Randall Foam & Stopped  (Read 4875 times)

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
HopRocket Randall Foam & Stopped
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »
I hooked up my HopRocket in-line on my draft system last night.  At first it foamed like crazy then just stopped pouring.

I am going to disassemble and see why its blocked but I wondered if anyone had any tips for foam-free pouring when running draft beer thru 3 oz of hops.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: HopRocket Randall Foam & Stopped
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
I would think you would have to presurize the randall to the same presure as the keg. don't know if that is possible though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
I don't think it is is possible to pour foam free through a randall.  Pressurizing it might help. Maybe.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
The 1st few pints are foamier as it's purging the air (and co2 if you purged the rocket prior to filling). The hoprocket should be in the fridge the same temp as the beer to minimize foaming. It can hold up to 40 psi.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
http://www.dogfish.com/files/Randall_users_guide.pdf
No need to re-invent the wheel.  Look at page 2 for the parts list. 
Looks like it'd be easier to just ask DFH to build you one at cost (but, according to their website, they're not building any right now).

The key is the faucet which supplies the necessary "resistance" to allow the carbon dioxide gas (and hop aromas/foam) to reenter the beer prior to pouring

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/faucets/4933roto-v_beer_faucet.shtml?CAWELAID=1068741017&gclid=CP6zp_ujjK4CFRJR7Aody3eW6A

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »
Interesting....as of now its working 5X5.  Jury is still out if I like Cascade-infused American Brown Ale....despite my love for hops, this may be a bit too much.  More to follow.  Perlick also makes an adjustable flow faucet.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/20581/beerwinecoffee/Perlick_Faucet_-_Flow_Control
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »
The 1st few pints are foamier as it's purging the air (and co2 if you purged the rocket prior to filling). The hoprocket should be in the fridge the same temp as the beer to minimize foaming. It can hold up to 40 psi.

+1

Chilling the hop rocket is required in an effort to minimize foaming.

Check out this video by John Blichmann. Start at 6 min in to see the demo as a randall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEO75CszMcI
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:44:22 PM by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
I've watched the video.  I think you just need to let the hops get soaked and cold.

What's the best hop to "Randall" an American Brown Ale with?
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »
I've watched the video.  I think you just need to let the hops get soaked and cold.

I would use Centennial for an American Brown.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Our randall is not a hop rocket, so I can not elaborate on that product, but we use the "traditional" water filter housing technique but with a second chamber after the hop infuser. This cuts down on foaming significantly. OTOH if you are only pouring a couple pints at a time it may waste a lot of beer.

Also if it is clogging you might have it packed too full. Don't pack them in there. Just fill it and leave them slightly loose. The beer will cause the hops to swell significantly. Also be sure you didn't get any hops "dust" on any seals or inside the "filter" housing.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:10:16 AM by majorvices »
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:31:10 AM »
I've watched the video.  I think you just need to let the hops get soaked and cold.

I think you are right.  I am using Cascade and do not like it as much as I expected.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »
Centennial is also known as "Super Cascade," so I wonder if you'd really like it if you're not wild about cascade...

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »

I think you are right.  I am using Cascade and do not like it as much as I expected.

Amarillo makes a mean American Brown!

I actually own a hop rocket and used it with 2 oz amarillo during my whirlpool it was fantastic.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • View Profile
    • Triptych
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:35 AM »
Our randall is not a hop rocket, so I can not elaborate on that product, but we use the "traditional" water filter housing technique but with a second chamber after the hop infuser. This cuts down on foaming significantly. OTOH if you are only pouring a couple pints at a time it may waste a lot of beer.

Also if it is clogging you might have it packed too full. Don't pack them in there. Just fill it and leave them slightly loose. The beer will cause the hops to swell significantly. Also be sure you didn't get any hops "dust" on any seals or inside the "filter" housing.

Any pictures? The second chamber doesn't have anything in it? I like some of the presentation aspects of Randalls but hate the waste introduced by the insane amount of foaming that seems inevitable with this setup since you're filtering carbonated beer through a billion tiny nucleation sites.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »

Any pictures? The second chamber doesn't have anything in it? I like some of the presentation aspects of Randalls but hate the waste introduced by the insane amount of foaming that seems inevitable with this setup since you're filtering carbonated beer through a billion tiny nucleation sites.

Have you seen the discussion on the 'hop squasher'? just put some hops in a french press and add beer. filter and drink. still foaming issues but a lot less waste I would think. Havn't tried it myself but it seems like a good idea!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce