Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: temp adjustment to priming level with bottles  (Read 1778 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
temp adjustment to priming level with bottles
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:36:03 am »
So I am getting ready to bottle part of a batch of beer (scottish 60/-) and I started to wonder. The carb calculator in beersmith accepts a temp for adjustment based on disolved co2 already present. But when I rack to the bottling bucket and give a gentle stir some of that co2 is coming out of solution. does that really matter? is it insignificant compared to the amount still disolved?

details
the beer fermented at ~62 and has been ~55 since fermentation was more or less complete. I aim for a farily low carb level maybe 1.9 volumes. so I plug all this into beer smith, give 62 as the temp and it gives me x oz sugar to prime. but I will lose y co2 in transfer and stirring. will my bottles be undercarbed? it's low enough carb level that just a little off will be noticable I would think.

thoughts?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: temp adjustment to priming level with bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »
Yes. I ignore that there is a residual amount of co2 and just calculate what is needed to reach desired volumes. However if it is a huge concern then maybe undershooting it by a fraction to compensate would work.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: temp adjustment to priming level with bottles
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:16 pm »
Yeah I am thinking I will bump the sugar just a tiny bit up, instead of .63 oz go with .70 or .75. I have undershot my desiered carb level on a couple of brews that I bottled now so I am getting frustrated but I also don't want to overshoot by so much that it won't have that nice almost flat scottishness to it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce