Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When and How to Keg Cider?  (Read 5145 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
When and How to Keg Cider?
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:22:08 pm »
I made a cider with Wyeast Cider yeast and 5.25 gallons of fresh, unpasteurized apple juice from a local farm. This was in September. I left it in primary the whole time, and it has shown no activity for months. I realize that most people put their ciders into secondary, but I thought it seemed like fun to let it age on lees (also, I do not feel the need or desire to get the cider cloudy. I was planning on putting this cider, as is, in a keg, and tapping it. I have a couple questions:

Do I need to let this cider age in the carboy for much longer before it would be good to keg?

Will the cider taste like beer if I keg it alongside a beer (I have a single regulator on my 2-keg kegerator)?

What do I do? (my thoughts are to keg the cider now alongside a keg of water, giving me cider and seltzer on tap)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: When and How to Keg Cider?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:51:18 pm »
You're good to go. I start serving my cider on tap in about 6-8 weeks. Longer is definitely better, it changes. But if you are OK with the taste at this point then go for it. Tastes nothing like beer - for parties I wheel out a 2 tap fridge and have hefe next to cider. Impossible to mistake one for the other.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:53:27 pm »
I asked because I read somewhere that carbonated wine began tasting like beer while kegged alongside beer with a single regulator.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:19:26 pm »
I asked because I read somewhere that carbonated wine began tasting like beer while kegged alongside beer with a single regulator.

I don't get that. I'm not a sommelier or a BJCP judge - but I don't taste it. If everything was equally pressurized after the regulator, I suppose some exchange of odor/gasses could diffuse between the two. Maybe if you had Pliny on one and Cider on the other it could happen, but I usually do less hopped beers. Browns, Hefes and the like...
The moral majority, is neither.