Drugs
0 (0%)
More beer
5 (21.7%)
More Kilt/Less Pants
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: February 13, 2012, 09:18:50 PM

Author Topic: My Back's Killing me  (Read 4258 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: My Back's Killing me
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
Go see a doctor!  Geez...asking for medical advice from a beer forum?

Hey, at least I put it in the Pub and not in All-Grain, even though I'm an all-grain brewer... ;)

First of all, I thought the AHA knew everything.  I was more intrigued in what people suggested simply because I'm skeptical of all of them. But, today it was bad enough that I went to a massage therapist on the advice of a friend and after she was done she suggested I see a chiropractor because it was beyond her ability to do much (I think she was a therapist, it said "Massage" in neon lights over her door.  Funny place for a doctor, out by the airport though...)  So anyway, I went to a chiropractor too and he cracked some stuff and pulled some stuff and now my wallet is appreciably lighter.  Luckily my work covers at least some of this stuff.  If this doesn't help after a few days then I'll go see my doctor but I hate seeing her for something like this (because the real reason for all this is because I need to lose 75 lbs).  Plus now that I'm over 40 I'm afraid of what other tests she may want to do.

They both suggested cold therapy with some ice for 20 mins at a time so I'm alternating between 20 mins outside and 20 ounces inside.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »

Hey, at least I put it in the Pub and not in All-Grain, even though I'm an all-grain brewer... ;)

First of all, I thought the AHA knew everything.  I was more intrigued in what people suggested simply because I'm skeptical of all of them. But, today it was bad enough that I went to a massage therapist on the advice of a friend and after she was done she suggested I see a chiropractor because it was beyond her ability to do much (I think she was a therapist, it said "Massage" in neon lights over her door.  Funny place for a doctor, out by the airport though...)  So anyway, I went to a chiropractor too and he cracked some stuff and pulled some stuff and now my wallet is appreciably lighter.  Luckily my work covers at least some of this stuff.  If this doesn't help after a few days then I'll go see my doctor but I hate seeing her for something like this (because the real reason for all this is because I need to lose 75 lbs).  Plus now that I'm over 40 I'm afraid of what other tests she may want to do.

They both suggested cold therapy with some ice for 20 mins at a time so I'm alternating between 20 mins outside and 20 ounces inside.

doesn't your governemnt cover all that stuff?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »

doesn't your government cover all that stuff?

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
Go see a doctor!  Geez...asking for medical advice from a beer forum?

so the solution is to grab some beer (what ever you can get across the border ;D) and come see me.   :o
Don AHA member

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »
IMO, most people who have problems with their "backs" also tend to have problems with their "fronts" (i.e., big flabby bellies).

Prevention is key:  Strengthen the core.  You don't need equipment or go to a gym to do this.

I learned this tidbit from a guy who has a degree in exercise physiology and has played pro baseball:  
DON'T do squats to strengthen the legs and hips--Your back and upper body is not designed for it.  
Instead, do one-legged squats with 1/2 the weight (place the other foot up on a chair or bench behind you).
The leg and hip muscles will get the same (or even better) workout.

For example, instead of squatting 300 pounds (and risking back injury), squat 150 pounds with one leg.  
If you can do that, then squat 155 pounds with one leg (instead of squatting 310 pounds, etc.)
Exercise smarter, not harder.  Save the back.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »

[/quote]

Sigh...the many misunderstanding of the Canadian health care system.  Neither massage therapy nor chiropractic care are covered by our system, at least not in Ontario( nor is homeopathy, acupuncture, voodoo etc).  That's part of the reason for my skepticism.  Family doctor and hospital care etc are covered.  My employers insurance plan does cover some of this, not sure how much cause I've never looked into it before but most employer insurance plans have a yearly cap. 

IMO, most people who have problems with their "backs" also tend to have problems with their "fronts" (i.e., big flabby bellies).

To be honest, my middle's not that great either.  But, joking aside you're right.  Trouble is, it's not that easy to lose that big flabby belly.  Trust me, I've tried (and lost it and found it again).

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »

There's a lot of misinformation about what nationalized single payer health plans cover.  They  really are about like our decent private insurance plans over here with copays, deductibles and restrictions-at least it's that way in France.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
  • Kit B - Bottineau Prairie, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
I have a very good chiropractor that I go to, on rare occassions.
His instructions are to exercise my abs & back, regularly.
If I do this, I rarely run into problems.
BUT...There are those stupid times that I plant my foot wrong...get out of bed & twist at just the wrong time...lift, without thinking...exit a vehicle wrong...Just stupid stuff.
Those times, I attempt the stretching exercises & if the problem doesn't go away, I make an appointment.

HOWEVER...
I once went to a chiropractor that a good friend suggested.
The a55hole mis-diagnosed me with scholiosis & wanted to put me on 18 months of therapy.
I left his office & made an appointment at my current clinic.
Do not just trust the opinion of a single doctor (of any kind), when they tell you something crazy, like that.

Edit...
2 visits to my current chiropractor had me back in shape, after 10 days.

Sadly, the friend that suggested that other quack has made it a policy to go in for adjustments, every few weeks.
I often wonder whether it's only because of the quack's prescribed treatments.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:40:51 PM by Kit B »
-    Head Cook & Bottle Washer    -
-      Bottineau Prairie Brewing      -

FBDU: Prairie & Northwoods Mobile Superintendant

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »

Sigh...the many misunderstanding of the Canadian health care system.  Neither massage therapy nor chiropractic care are covered by our system, at least not in Ontario( nor is homeopathy, acupuncture, voodoo etc).  That's part of the reason for my skepticism.  Family doctor and hospital care etc are covered.  My employers insurance plan does cover some of this, not sure how much cause I've never looked into it before but most employer insurance plans have a yearly cap. 

To be honest, my middle's not that great either.  But, joking aside you're right.  Trouble is, it's not that easy to lose that big flabby belly.  Trust me, I've tried (and lost it and found it again).
[/quote]

Ahh yeah the chiro and message. too bad. seems like at least chiro should be covered. they are doctors after all.

on the finding the weight again;
if you lose wieght via diet you must forever and always stick to that diet. if you lose weight by excersize it's a little better but you still must maintain some level of activity to keep your metabolism up.

the best weightloss plan I ever found was eating about 7-10 times a day but only about 100-200 calories each time. this way I was able to live quite well on around 1500 calories a day and never felt hungry. drank alot of herbal tea back then. replacing the tea with beer does not help.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »

Prevention is key:  Strengthen the core.

This.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »

This.

I guess I'm not most people.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 08:49:49 PM »
As a guy who has had some back issues over the years, my long term solution has been to have regular excercise to strenghten the core.  Been doing some Pilates since the start of the year, and that has helped a bunch.  All that and a memory foam matress. 

Short term solution is to see a Doctor.

Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »

There's a lot of misinformation about what nationalized single payer health plans cover.  They  really are about like our decent private insurance plans over here with copays, deductibles and restrictions-at least it's that way in France.

I'm on the super basic national system here, and it covers hospital stuff, and a doctor's visit once a year (more or less). I don't have what's called a 'mutuel' (additional coverage provided by an employer) so I'm paying out-of-pocket for pretty much everything including prescriptions. The huge, enormous difference between here and the US, though, is that a trip to the doctor's costs about 50 eur, and medications cost between 50 cents and 5 euro. Also doctors aren't allowed to 'recommend' name-brand stuff like they are in the US. No free ProvaxidinolAB(c)(R) pens to be found.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »

This.

I guess I'm not most people.

I think that's obvious, Jeff!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »

. Also doctors aren't allowed to 'recommend' name-brand stuff like they are in the US. No free ProvaxidinolAB(c)(R) pens to be found.

hey, i like my pens ::)
Don AHA member