Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Compact fluorescent bulbs  (Read 8685 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Compact fluorescent bulbs
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »
What kind of experiences have you guys had with these?  I've been using them pretty much since they came out for most of my fixtures, but I haven't found that they last any longer than incandescent bulbs.  Since we can only recycle our light bulbs twice a year I get an accurate count of how many I use so I know they don't last the years the advertising says they will.  In the last 4 months I've replaced 4, and I only need 26 bulbs for the whole house.  I average taking 3 or 4 to be recycled every 6 months, that's too many.  I've even changed some fixtures but that hasn't helped.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Compact fluorescent bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:46:25 pm »
I agree, they are more expensive and don't seem to last any longer than incandescent. Maybe they save energy but the disposal issue is a PITA and heaven forbid if you break one. I hate 'em!

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »
I've had pretty much the same experience, don't know if they  burn out or what. But most  have been going strong for years, maybe quality control is an issue. They sure save energy when they work. I got mine in Cali when the state was giving huge refunds because of they have energy issues there, so they weren't expensive.  I saw Ed Begley jr with the diodes and he was giving away his cfl's. Disposale is a hassle in RI too.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:58:10 pm »
The later generations are lasting longer than the first ones. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »
I had a couple back in '99 that I got used from the electric company I was working at in VT. Those bulbs lasted for at least 4 years. I gave them away when I was moving long distance cause I figured they wouldn't make it, as far as I know they are still going strong. I think when I moved into my last apartment I bought a package at the dollar store or whatever and have not purchased lightbulbs since. as the incandesent ones wear out I replace with the cf and forget about it.

The only thing that bugs me at all is that they are dim when you first switch them on. but you can get pretty much the same spectrum as incandesent. I do worry sometimes about skunking my beer with them but have not had a problem... yet.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:32:54 pm »
The ones I've used outside have burned out fast, but the ones inside the house are lasting a long time.  We have some that are at least 5 years old.  We don't use them too many places though, my wife hates the light quality and the ones with the nicer spectrum seem to be even more expensive.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:38 pm »
terrible light quality.
full of mercury.
not meant to burn upside down.
not easy to dispose of; I'm sure most people just toss them in regular trash.

all reasons I've never used them. incandescents work just fine for me.

maybe when l.e.d. bulbs are better and cheaper...
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:12:32 pm »
i use them in places that are a pain to change the light or i want to leave on.  i have one on in my garage non stop (wifes idea, dont ask)  i only change it every few years.    i had a few outside in the porch lights over my deck that lasted a few years but i recently rebuilt my sofitt and put in recessed led.

my biggest problem is that they seem to be getting rammed down our throats, so i am stock piling the good old incandescents.
Don AHA member

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:45 pm »
terrible light quality.
full of mercury.
not easy to dispose of; I'm sure most people just toss them in regular trash.

A perfect example of the unanticipated consequences stemming from having "it's for your own good" shoved down our throats.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11:47 pm »

maybe when l.e.d. bulbs are better and cheaper...
All of my lights are either upside down or horizontal at best.  Why do they not work upside down?
I priced some LED's last week for our office entrance.  The price will have to come wwaaaay down before I can afford them.  4 halogens was $11, 4 LED's were about $65 I think.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »
LED's are awesome but don't like being turned on and off a lot. They should come down in price as years pass. 

I've only burnt out one CFL ever, and still have the one's I installed 4 years ago when moving into the house. The little 13 watt cfl in my hood vent has stayed on almost perpetually for 4 years.

They last and the power usage is less. Much less.  That's my take on them. Take a minute to brighten up? Yeah I've noticed that for the 46 watt bulbs. Doesn't bother me.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 07:26:18 pm »
they will still work upside down but may not last as long in that position, particularly when burning continuously for long periods. the small internal ballasts inside the bases take on the extra heat output, while low, which will contribute to shorter life spans and quicker burn outs.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:13:46 pm »
If they get cold they will die and the colder they are they take forever to give the expected light. Maybe 60 sec of incandecent costs less than the 10 min the cfb take to warm up so I can see.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 05:18:26 am »
The contractor who built our addition put CFL flood lights in the outside fixtures on the back of the house.  They took so long to warm up you had anticipate needing to see in the backyard 10-15 minutes before the unexpected noise.  I changed those out for halogen floods.  They are only used once in awhile but a security light is useless if it takes 10 minutes to warm up.

We have them all over the house now but for certain lights I too have been stock piling old fashioned bulbs until LEDs come down in price.  The CFLs seem to last about the same amount of time as incandecents in rooms that get switched on/off all the time.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 08:55:30 am »
I will agree that the mercury is a concern. LEDs are great light sources for sure and when they become readily available I will for sure start buying those. Luckily all the communities I have lived in recently have good twice yearly or more hazardous waste recycling programs.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce