Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Very cool  (Read 4250 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Very cool
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »
back on track, that was friggin awesome. it must have taken weeks to set that up.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:54:50 pm »
back on track, that was friggin awesome. it must have taken weeks to set that up.

LOL

They had a green light by GM. I think it cost a lot. And they had to practice to get it just right.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 07:32:01 am »
They've paid back all the money, haven't they?

They paid back what was set up as a loan.  There is still a big chunk of money that was converted into equity.  The Government sold a chunk of that, but still holds about 26% of the company stock. The stock will need to double from its current price for the Government to break even. The IPO covered part of the cash infusion, but not all.

Chrysler is also bringing out cars based on the Alfa Romeo platforms.  See the new Duster for an example.

Sounds like an interesting time to invest a bit in Chrysler. Although my next car will still be from Peugeot Citroën. They've got a new system for basically turning any car into a hybrid - get rid of some trunk space and install an electric motor on top of the rear axel. http://www.peugeot.co.uk/vehicles/peugeot-car-range/peugeot-3008-hybrid4/ -- 60mpg diesel. Of course Diesels are much more popular over here, for some reason, I don't know why.

I'd totally buy an American-made truck, if they were available. Good 'ol boy F-150 or Chevy S-10, but the only truck sold here is the Toyota Hilux, which is I think a Tacoma but smaller.

I love OKGO. Those guys do really amazing stuff for their videos.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:08:06 am »
Diesel costs more here than gas.  That is the main reason, as the added cost of the engine does not pay off in savings. 

In Europe the fuel taxes are high enough that they can discount diesel fuel a buck a gallon by just lowering the tax on that fuel.  That makes it very attractive to buy a diesel.

Diesels are planned for many of the US designed and built vehicles.  The new fuel economy standards will drive that.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 08:42:36 am »
Diesel costs more here than gas.  That is the main reason, as the added cost of the engine does not pay off in savings. 

In Europe the fuel taxes are high enough that they can discount diesel fuel a buck a gallon by just lowering the tax on that fuel.  That makes it very attractive to buy a diesel.

Diesels are planned for many of the US designed and built vehicles.  The new fuel economy standards will drive that.

I haven't done the math and I suspect that it will indeed take a heck of a long time to of offset the ~5000 extra that the diesel engine costs but it is nice to get nearly 50 mpg. but just roughing it out I save about $1000 a year with the diesel on fuel. If you add in additional savings related to ease of maintenance, less tune ups, less oil changes etc. it might end up being 1200 a year so It's only going to take me about 5 years to break even. Not to bad. I suspect on the used diesel I got 5 years ago it's already passed the break even point.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 08:55:04 am »

I haven't done the math and I suspect that it will indeed take a heck of a long time to of offset the ~5000 extra that the diesel engine costs but it is nice to get nearly 50 mpg. but just roughing it out I save about $1000 a year with the diesel on fuel. If you add in additional savings related to ease of maintenance, less tune ups, less oil changes etc. it might end up being 1200 a year so It's only going to take me about 5 years to break even. Not to bad. I suspect on the used diesel I got 5 years ago it's already passed the break even point.

The 3008 I'm looking at gets 60mpg mixed, and gas prices are definitely interesting... I pay about $9/gallon, whereas diesel is $6.50/gallon, so seems like the difference there gets made up real quick. Trouble is there are no used models, so that's $54k for a new one off the lot... I think I'll wait a bit.
----

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:28 am »
So they are making Diesels even more attractive.  Last time I was driving in Europe was Italy about 2006-ish.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 09:31:57 am »
Diesel costs more here than gas.  That is the main reason, as the added cost of the engine does not pay off in savings.  

In Europe the fuel taxes are high enough that they can discount diesel fuel a buck a gallon by just lowering the tax on that fuel.  That makes it very attractive to buy a diesel.

Diesels are planned for many of the US designed and built vehicles.  The new fuel economy standards will drive that.

The 3008 I'm looking at gets 60mpg mixed, and gas prices are definitely interesting... I pay about $9/gallon, whereas diesel is $6.50/gallon, so seems like the difference there gets made up real quick. Trouble is there are no used models, so that's $54k for a new one off the lot... I think I'll wait a bit.

yeah that ain't cheap. I paid 32K for my 2010 jetta TDI wagon. so I maybe actually only paid a 4k premium for the deisel. paid 12K for my 2003 Jetta TDI in 2007 so even used you still pay the premium.

**EDIT**

for the 2010 I also got 1800 back on the high MGP tax credit so that helps, I should hit breakeven on that car in only about 3 years.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 09:44:40 am »
Diesel costs more here than gas.  That is the main reason, as the added cost of the engine does not pay off in savings.  

In Europe the fuel taxes are high enough that they can discount diesel fuel a buck a gallon by just lowering the tax on that fuel.  That makes it very attractive to buy a diesel.

Diesels are planned for many of the US designed and built vehicles.  The new fuel economy standards will drive that.

yeah that ain't cheap. I paid 32K for my 2010 jetta TDI wagon. so I maybe actually only paid a 4k premium for the deisel. paid 12K for my 2003 Jetta TDI in 2007 so even used you still pay the premium.

**EDIT**

for the 2010 I also got 1800 back on the high MGP tax credit so that helps, I should hit breakeven on that car in only about 3 years.

What is all this TDI/HDI stuff anyway? /toolazytogoogle
----

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:13 am »
[What is all this TDI/HDI stuff anyway? /toolazytogoogle

TDI is Turbocharged Direct Injection (although google disagrees on this and I always thought the 'D' meant diesel  ;D)
HDI is High presure Direct (or deisel) injection which is, apparently, again according to google, more or less the same thing but may or may not have a turbocharger.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce