Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Milk stout recipe  (Read 29499 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Milk stout recipe
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:10:26 am »
So I just bottled my first ever attempt at home-brewing a pretty good red ale, and I was thinking about starting my second beer. I was thinking of doing a milk stout, but i haven't seen a extract recipe and for that matter a solid non-extract recipe. I really like Left Hand's milk stout. Does anybody have good extract or even partial mash recipe?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Milk stout recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:56:26 am »
Sure! And feel free to play with this...

5 gallon batch

Steeping grains at 150-158 for 30 min.

1 lbs  Black Patent Malt
1/2 lbs Carapils
1/2 lbs Crystal 80
3/4 lbs Chocolate Malt

Boil 60 min

6 or so lbs of Extra Light English LME or DME

1 lbs Lactose added last 15 min of boil

Hops...pretty much anything but keep your IBU's in the 25-40 range.

Maybe?

1.5 oz Goldings at 60 min
.5 oz Goldings at 15 min

Yeast....Any english strain. I like the Ringwood strain, WhitBread strain, or English Ale strain. WLP 005, 007, and 002 respectively.

You want to pitch 2 liquid yeast packs or make appropriate starter. Ferment around 67.

Hope this helps!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:14:05 am »
I should note that you can play with this suit your tastes!

This is a pretty simple milk stout recipe, and you can change it to your liking! Want more roasty, take some black patent out and add some roasted barley, want more creamy mouthfeel add some oats or flaked barley in lieu of carapils.  Add more chocolate if you want more chocolate coffee notes, add some pale chocolate, want more carmel use C120, or less use C40 or dont use it at all! Whatever works for your taste buds.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 02:01:19 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have try it out soon
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »
This is the recipe I have up next for a sweet stout, which is almost identical, but not quite (has less specialty grains).  Since we're discussing it, anyone who wishes to comment, please do!  I'm interested in the differences and what you experienced guys think about this recipe verses the one above.  Since CSU007 and I are brewing about the same thing at about the same time, it will be interesting to see how each one comes out.  I could still alter my recipe if need be, but I think I'm going to go with this and try it as-is if nobody has any majorly important reasons why I should not.  I might try CSU's recipe he goes with in the future if his goes well too!

more beer LME light 6.0 lbs
12 oz crystal malt
1 lb black patent malt
2 oz cascade (6.4AA) 60 minutes
Safale S-04 dry yeast

4 oz corn sugar for bottling.

Estimated OG 1.045-1.048
Estimated IBUs 38-42
Estimated ABV 4.5%
Suggested fermentation temp 65-68 (will likely be 68-69, closet temp is pretty steady)
LME and lactose added before boil, total boil 60 minutes
rehydrate yeast at 95F in a cup of boiled spring water

They don't mention aeration of wort before pitching.  Any suggestions using this yeast?

And CSU... good luck!!

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:44:53 pm »
both recipes sound good, I'm a little nervous to jump from a kit to a choosing my ingredients, after-all this will be a my second attempt at a home brew. I may do some more research on the grains and other stuff to see the differences before i brew, any suggestions would be appreciated. and good luck to you as well alcaponejunior

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:52:02 pm »
both recipes sound good, I'm a little nervous to jump from a kit to a choosing my ingredients, after-all this will be a my second attempt at a home brew. I may do some more research on the grains and other stuff to see the differences before i brew, any suggestions would be appreciated. and good luck to you as well alcaponejunior

I'm just going for it!!  I plan to brew every two or three weeks, depending on life's schedule.  Actually, I thought your kit looked a little better, with more specialty grains than mine, but I'm just as new as you, so who really knows?

My last batch, an "English" IPA that very well might not be very English at all, I went ahead and diverged from the recipe and dry hopped.  I'm willing to take some chances and experiment!

But now I digress... I did a lot of research, and I still am, but after tasting the first bottle of my first 5.5 gallon batch, I am far less worried now than I was before.  See links in my sig if you want the whole story.  Al's Celebration Ale is damn good though, albeit mostly due to the expertise of Old Guy.  My second batch, the English IPA, is all me, and we shall soon see how it comes out!  

I love this forum because of all the newbies that I can ride along with, and get commentary from the experienced brewers.

Good luck man!  Keep me posted, I'll do the same.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
Oh, and BTW I got this sweet stout recipe as a kit.  I only modified my English IPA by dry hopping it, otherwise it too was a kit.  I don't want to sound like I've personally selected all this stuff myself... LOL

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:46 am »
@alcapone

Sweeat Stouts usually have Lactose added to them so do add some of that! anywhere from a 1/2 lb to full pound is usually the sweet spot depending on how sweet you want the beer.

A good question to ask you guys is what do YOU want out of the beer. What flavors and mouthfeel are you looking for?
Jason

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »
I'm looking for the beer to be similar to Left Hand's milk stout, maybe more chocolate taste and less coffee,any idea what malt/grains would work best?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:53:53 pm by csu007 »

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:15:05 pm »
I think i will trying this recipe from the joy of homebrewing (with possible changes)

6-6.5lbs of dark LME
1lb crystal malt ( 60 or 120L?)
1/4lb black patent malt
1/4 roasted barley
1/2 lb chocolate malt (not in the recipe so i'm not sure if it's needed)
1oz of either goldings, fuggles, williamette, or cascade
1/2oz of either northern brewer or perle

Yeast- ale type?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:47:45 pm »
I would use light LME instead, you will still get plenty of color.

I'd probably use an English ale yeast.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:57:21 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, do have a favorite or recommended yeast?

jmcamerlengo, alcaponejunior recommended the following and the book had no suggestion  Safale S-04 dry yeast, Ringwood strain, WhitBread strain, or Englis Ale strain. WLP 005, 007, and 002 respectively.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:08 pm »
I would stay away from whitbread and wlp007, they are too attenuative for a sweet stout IMO.  I think they would dry it out, which is not what you're going for, especially for an extract batch where you don't have as much control over the fermentability of the wort.

If I could pick any yeast I wanted I'd use WY1968, which I believe has the same origin as WLP002.  I would also save any lactose additions until it was done fermenting so you can see how low the SG drops.

But you can go with S04 if you want to use dry yeast.  Or use Ringwood if you like that strain.

None of them will make a bad batch though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »
thanks i think i will go with the dry yeast and good suggestion about the lactose, i wasn't sure when i should add it