Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Opinion about posting Jamil's recipes  (Read 15693 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Opinion about posting Jamil's recipes
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 12:15:41 pm »
Who wrote that one Drew?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:19:49 pm »
There's one free to Prime Members of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Homebrewing-Book-Hobbies-ebook/dp/B0045Y23Q6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328727644&sr=8-2

Why thank you Drew. Thought it looked familiar! And all those stars... It must be good.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »
Who wrote that one Drew?

Some know it all jerk. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 12:48:24 pm »
Who wrote that one Drew?

Some know it all jerk. :)
Thanks Drew, I've got the hard copy but the e-copy will be nice bus reading.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:17:43 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kswitzer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:07:25 pm »
would love to see some downloadable brewing books. 

Brewers Publications has some books available on Kindle but only a handful.  Actually we are working on a new digital initiative beginning this year.  We will be investing in both epub format (works on most all readers) and a kindle format for titles.  The conversion process is note a quick thing as our books are not text only.  Text only books are pretty quick and easy but you start throwing in recipes, sidebars, charts and graphs and it can throw a lot of formatting out of whack.  

In any case, I have two of them in production right now.  How to Brew by John Palmer is first up on deck and will be followed by Sacred Herbal and Healing Beers.  This technology will also allow us to bring back out of print titles that have been requested (think the Lambic book from the Classic Beer Style Series).  I'd love to be able to have them all up asap but as mentioned it is more complicated than you may think though I expect it will get easier as time goes on.  I'd rather take the time and do them right if we are going to put them out there.  In the end with all the variables that come into play with these eReaders, I am doing what we can to ensure a good experience for the reader despite some technological limitations.  

Stay posted on new releases and when eBooks are released by following progress on:
Facebook facebook/BrewersPublications, twitter handle @beerbooks and the new BP website is BrewersPublications.com

Cheers~
Kristi

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »
@ Kristi!!!!

1. Thanks for weighing in on your perspective regarding BCS recipes.
2. In regard to Brewer's Publications in an e-format: Super AWESOME!  I am looking forward to whatever I can get for my Kindle Fire.  I like to browse topics and info on brewing when I have a few minutes or when I am sitting drinking a beer, and would rebuy some to replace my tattered copies and I know I would make more spur of the moment kindle book purchases if I could get the Lambic book the minute I was wondering about something sour.  I especially would love Michael Jackson's works at my fingertips while sitting at the Cheeky Monk on Colfax, for example.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »
Kristi, as long as we've got you here, do you have any French language brewing technique books? I've talked with both Randy Mosher and Charlie Papazian about getting translations done and they're interested, but finding a publisher here that'll take it on is tough.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:07 pm »

Brewers Publications has some books available on Kindle but only a handful.  Actually we are working on a new digital initiative beginning this year.  We will be investing in both epub format (works on most all readers) and a kindle format for titles.  The conversion process is note a quick thing as our books are not text only.  Text only books are pretty quick and easy but you start throwing in recipes, sidebars, charts and graphs and it can throw a lot of formatting out of whack.  

In any case, I have two of them in production right now.  How to Brew by John Palmer is first up on deck and will be followed by Sacred Herbal and Healing Beers.  This technology will also allow us to bring back out of print titles that have been requested (think the Lambic book from the Classic Beer Style Series).  I'd love to be able to have them all up asap but as mentioned it is more complicated than you may think though I expect it will get easier as time goes on.  I'd rather take the time and do them right if we are going to put them out there.  In the end with all the variables that come into play with these eReaders, I am doing what we can to ensure a good experience for the reader despite some technological limitations.  

Stay posted on new releases and when eBooks are released by following progress on:
Facebook facebook/BrewersPublications, twitter handle @beerbooks and the new BP website is BrewersPublications.com

Cheers~
Kristi

Great :)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:22 am »
Kristi, as long as we've got you here, do you have any French language brewing technique books? I've talked with both Randy Mosher and Charlie Papazian about getting translations done and they're interested, but finding a publisher here that'll take it on is tough.

Cool idea. For a direction toward a publisher, perhaps check with Tim Webb: http://booksaboutbeer.com/

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:08 am »

Cheers~
Kristi

Kristi, I would love to see Analysis of Brewing Techniques available electronically. A few years back I tried to buy a copy used and it was basically impossible. I got one from like Alabama or something through inter-library loan and read it but I would love to own a copy.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 06:13:04 pm »
awesome info.  thanks for the link drew and thanks for the info kristi!  cheers.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »
I've been brewing my way through BCS and have been extremely happy with each batch of beer.  I think the recipes are well-written, and the short style profile that accompanies each is helpful.  I've been recommending this book to any brewer that I can, because I see the value in a proven recipe, and like I said, they're turning out to be fantastic recipes.

You should try to convince your friend to take them down. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 08:00:38 pm »
Seriously though, I can see posting a recipe or two with attribution to the author(s) (JZ/JP) as a sign of respect and giving them credit where it is due. Even without permission.

But to post them all on a website would be an act of extreme douchery- regardless if it was legal or not. IMO we owe a lot to JZ and JP especially and all the others who have taken the time and effort to publish their experiences and knowledge.

Best answer so far.

I also think that he can legally copy the ingredient lists for some recipes, but the more he copies, the closer he is to infringing on Jamil's 'collection' of recipes. The text accompanying each recipe offering procedures and tips for the best result are more likely to fall under copyright.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958