Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Opinion about posting Jamil's recipes  (Read 15694 times)

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
Re: Opinion about posting Jamil's recipes
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:18 am »
If we're talking about Fred's site, I was under the impression that those were put together and posted before BCS was published.  They certainly seem to be based on the information that JZ put out on the BN's Jamil show.  It's a handy reference when I don't have my hard copy of BCS on hand.  I, of course, see the publisher's point.  But cookbook copyrights aren't generally worth fighting over.

/not legal advise
//I hated every day I spent taking Copyright law.
///just wanted to read about the Beatles.
////the George Harrison case was boring.
/////slashy
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 09:54:07 am »
If we're talking about Fred's site, I was under the impression that those were put together and posted before BCS was published.  They certainly seem to be based on the information that JZ put out on the BN's Jamil show.  It's a handy reference when I don't have my hard copy of BCS on hand.  I, of course, see the publisher's point.  But cookbook copyrights aren't generally worth fighting over.

/not legal advise
//I hated every day I spent taking Copyright law.
///just wanted to read about the Beatles.
////the George Harrison case was boring.
/////slashy

nah Fred's site has permission for the ones that are up there. this is another guy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:43 am »
Very good.  I thought Fred looked pretty relaxed in his responses earlier. 

Yeah, if they are blatant copies with no permission, they ought to come down under brewer's code, all the copyright rules notwithstanding.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 11:26:31 am »
Very good.  I thought Fred looked pretty relaxed in his responses earlier. 

Yeah, if they are blatant copies with no permission, they ought to come down under brewer's code, all the copyright rules notwithstanding.
agreed
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
Seriously though, I can see posting a recipe or two with attribution to the author(s) (JZ/JP) as a sign of respect and giving them credit where it is due. Even without permission.

But to post them all on a website would be an act of extreme douchery- regardless if it was legal or not. IMO we owe a lot to JZ and JP especially and all the others who have taken the time and effort to publish their experiences and knowledge.

Best answer so far.

I also think that he can legally copy the ingredient lists for some recipes, but the more he copies, the closer he is to infringing on Jamil's 'collection' of recipes. The text accompanying each recipe offering procedures and tips for the best result are more likely to fall under copyright.

Yes, as a librarian (not a lawyer) that is what I was thinking. on both counts -- the unchivalrous behavior, and the " more he copies" comment.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 07:45:43 pm »
[...] an act of extreme douchery- [...]

Yes, as a librarian (not a lawyer) that is what I was thinking. on both counts -- the unchivalrous behavior, and the " more he copies" comment.

I love librarians notice "extreme douchery" == "unchivalrous behavior"  ;D ;D ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 07:41:36 am »
Also, the book is only like 12 bucks. Cheap enough for any one to buy.

Aside from the recipes, it's a fun read.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 09:31:21 am »
I even attribute JZ's recipes to him with a "JZ" designation when I put them on my whiteboard listing the brews I have on tap.  I don't want anyone to think that I came up with a recipe when it was his.  It doesn't mean I won't take a compliment about how well it turned out - but even then I tell them it was JZ's recipe.  Same goes for CP and JP.

It seems like the best karma practice to me.

Now back to my mash of Palendrome Pils....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kswitzer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:37 am »
Copyright issues:  General rule of thumb is that 2 - 3 recipes or 150 - 200 words can be quoted with proper attribution.  Think about recipe books reviewed in the food section.  Usually 2 - 3 recipes from some particular book are included in the review.  I am a firm believer in asking permission rather than forgiveness but then I would be ;)  I try to respond quickly when I have requests come in so that asking for permission isn't a stumbling block to someone wishing to use content from BP titles.

Foreign Rights:  As far as French translation goes, I haven't been approached by any publishers and haven't come across enough of an interest to pursue it.  I believe that Designing Great Beers was once published in Korean  (pre-Kristi) and the Italian version was launched last month (I'm waiting on the copies to show up in the mail).  There's a possibility that How to Brew could become a Russian edition - there was a turnover in reps after we sold the rights so there were a few hiccups in title development.  There has been some interest in Portuguese and Spanish translations as well for Brew Like a Monk, Radical and some of the style series but no bite yet.  It can be a lengthy process.

eBook Conversion:  Analysis of Brewing Techniques and others are in the plan but it will be a process based on demand/interest and technical feasibility of conversion but I do appreciate you weighing in!  This title is planned but down the road a piece yet.  I'd love to see ALL of our titles available in eBook format and as we get more familiar with all the various things to look for in planning and proofing these books, it will go a little more quickly.

Again - open to questions, suggestions and input anytime!

Cheers~
Kristi Switzer
Publisher, Brewers Publications
Kristi (at) BrewersAssociation.org

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 03:05:23 pm »
In the UK, you could reproduce one chapter or 10% (whichever is the greater) as long as it is attributed. More than that, even attributed, is violation of copyright. The same rule as in the US for lists of ingredients applies for recipes, but any details on method (i.e. explanation of how to pull it off) are copyright in the UK.

I am not a lawyer. I have successfully sued someone for plagiarizing my work.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/