Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Addition into Secondary  (Read 7256 times)

Offline twodogbrew69

• 1st Kit
Coffee Addition into Secondary
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »
Greeting!  I finally did my first all grain batch last weekend - a stout recipe that turned out well and had 73% efficiency.  I was happy.  Now I come to where I put it into secondary and have a coffee addition for it though.  I normally crushed the coffee a bit and put it in the fermenter, but have heard how you can actually brew the coffee first and then pour the cooled coffee into the secondary as well.  Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
Kevin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Coffee Addition into Secondary
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »
I do both.  I add lightly cracked beans to secondary for aroma and strong brewed espresso at packaging for flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »
I do both.  I add lightly cracked beans to secondary for aroma and strong brewed espresso at packaging for flavor.

+1

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:27:31 pm »
You can also "cold brew" the coffee and add it at packaging or in the secondary.

Simply crush some beans pour cold water(you can pre boil the water and cool it off quickly to be extra safe) over them in a sanitized container, let sit for 24-48 hours, then dump strained cold coffee into secondary, keg or bottling bucket.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Crash Green

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:38:33 pm »
I used some of these suggestions in my last batch.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=4510.0
"Start every day with a smile on your face and get it over with." -W.C. Fields

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:16:17 pm »
i cold brewed 4ox of coffee, and dry beaned another 4oz, in 5gal of porter. Waaaaaay too much.  So go easy...

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »
Yeah, go easy is right.  I made a mocha porter awhile ago based on some info in the Zymurgy article on the subject.  The one recipe I kinda sorta modeled my coffee additions against called for 12 oz of coffee.  So I ground up 12 oz of coffee beans and added enough water to have a decent mix.  Ended up with about a quart of cold steeped coffee and threw that into the end of the boil.

Well, I apparently have a reading comprehension problem.  Or maybe just a general stupidity problem.  Obviously (in retrospect) the recipe was calling for 12 oz of brewed liquid coffee.  So I ended up with something that resembles iced, carbonated coffee with a hint of chocolate from the cacao nibs.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:11:37 pm »
I did a Double chocolate double coffee imperial stout and I brewed 1 shot of espresso for every 24oz and it turned out good.  It did have a bit of a strong coffee but that is what I was going for.  I brewed it, cooled it and added it at bottling.
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:19 am »
I've found that coffee increases the bitterness of the beer so I usually reduce the bittering hops if I'm going to add coffee.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:07 am »
I've found that coffee increases the bitterness of the beer so I usually reduce the bittering hops if I'm going to add coffee.

+1 with the brewed coffee, but I haven't found the cold pressed method to add much bitterness.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:56:51 pm »
I recently cold brewed some coffee with a french press and added it to the keg.  Still awaiting results.  Smelled really good when I was racking the oatmeal stout onto the coffee though.  Hope it doesn't turn south on me, I didn't sanitize the french press container before brewing it.
Jesse

Offline P.J.

• 1st Kit
  • Strange Brew Homebrew Club - Beervana, OR
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »
I make a coffee porter.
I cold brew ground coffee in boiled and cooled water over night.
Then run through a french press to remove the grounds and filter through coffee filters until all the sediment is gone.
It takes numerous passess through paper filters.
I add about a quart of the cold pressed coffee to a 5 gal corney keg.
Seems to work well.
P.J.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:28:09 pm »
I made an espresso porter once by adding a shot (1oz) of fresh espresso at bottling to each pint of beer. It turned out really nice, with a distinct coffee flavor, but it was not overpowering and nice.

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:55 am »
I did Randy Mosher's cold infusion from Radical Brewing, but I used a fine espresso grind (it was all I had) and it ended up being a thick sludge that was almost impossible to filter.  I only ended up adding half of what I wanted to, but I also ended up getting some grounds in the coffee, which I think made it a bit bitter.  However, after a few months it mellowed to a decent flavor.  But I would maybe do a coarser grind if I did this again.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 11:21:55 am »
I made an espresso porter once by adding a shot (1oz) of fresh espresso at bottling to each pint of beer. It turned out really nice, with a distinct coffee flavor, but it was not overpowering and nice.
That seems like A LOT of espresso, 40 shots!  Espresso isn't cheap to make either.  Of course that wouldn't all fit in there either, so you probably had some beer left over.
I did what P.J. did, but only filtered with the french press.  A little coffee sediment will go unnoticed in 4-5 gallons of beer.

EDIT: tapped my breakfast stout last night and it was deeeelicious.  Just what I was hoping for.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:32:35 am by beersk »
Jesse