Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wild Hare  (Read 5783 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Wild Hare
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:02:47 pm »
Yup. Shiner's actually made a hoppy beer!

An American Pale ale- bright and pale, fizzy and sweet caramel tones. The US Goldings and Bravo used are citrusy and "assertive". There's the signature graininess that let's me know it's a Shiner!

I always knew they could do it! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
Re: Wild Hare
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:02:27 pm »
What?! No one has seen or tried this one? I drank all six so drinkability isn't an issue. Had a hangover though the next day. Maybe that was due to drinking six beers on an empty stomach.:)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:31:14 pm »
I noticed my local craft beer store started carrying a wider range of Shiner's beers, but didn't see that one. I'll have check again & give it a try if they do.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:11:11 am »
I picked up a mixed 6 of shiner because I had a vague recollection of this thread.  No wild hare.  I get to try Kosmos and Old Time Alt, the rest are best for cooking sausages. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:28:59 am »
This is the first I've heard of it...but I'll be sure to give it a taste if I can find it. Thanks for the heads up euge.
Ron Price

Offline Crash Green

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »
Thank Heaven I live in Texas, so I get full access to all of Shiner's wonderful creations! I took special note of the Munich malt flavor they use so often. I am waiting for the Ruby Redbird to come back. I loved that beer so much...I haven't been able to replicate it though, yet. Any ideas?
"Start every day with a smile on your face and get it over with." -W.C. Fields

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »
You could add Ruby Red grapefruit to secondary and/or the zest to the boil. Then cold condition.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:44:06 am »
I picked up a mixed 6 of shiner because I had a vague recollection of this thread.  No wild hare.  I get to try Kosmos and Old Time Alt, the rest are best for cooking sausages. :-\
After trying a few of these, they were pretty good. I liked the black lager too.  The hefeweizen is hoppier than expected but not a German style so I'm not a big fan.  Maybe the others will exceed expectations too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27:08 am »
After trying a few of these, they were pretty good. I liked the black lager too.  The hefeweizen is hoppier than expected but not a German style so I'm not a big fan.  Maybe the others will exceed expectations too.

The black lager is a good beer. Some of Shiner's beers are tasty.  Some like the Bock are not so tasty.  Sometimes in TX it is the best thing you can find, though.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:28:41 am »
Sometimes in TX it is the best thing you can find, though.

profound  ;D
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 05:38:22 am »
Sometimes in TX it is the best thing you can find, though.

profound  ;D

A few years back that was the case.  The Grune Music Hall was a good example of this situation. 
http://gruenehall.com/

Last month in Austin, we noticed that the beer scene there had improved immensely.  You could find Live Oak and Real Ale beers in many places.  New brewpubs are starting up, and were making some pretty good beer.  But then again, that is Austin. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 05:40:07 am »
Found some in Pittsburgh.   ;D

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:44:27 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:38 am »
Trust me- there is plenty of beer available in Texas, from excellent to poor quality.

Thanks for the tip the Black Lager. Have maybe tried it once, but remember that I didn't care for it. Will try a single.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:35:47 am »
Found some in Pittsburgh.   ;D

Holy shazizzle!  :o
Ron Price

Offline Crash Green

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:20 am »
St. Arnolds makes good beer (although not a huge fan of the Spring Bock), as does Rahr & Sons. I really like their Buffalo Butt Red Ale.
"Start every day with a smile on your face and get it over with." -W.C. Fields