Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Some noob questions  (Read 1257 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Some noob questions
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:35:23 am »
I just brewed my 2nd batch of beer 2 nights ago. It was my first solo batch and also the first time I was brewing a recipe I developed myself. I had a few questions about things that came up.

- My only fermentable was 3lb of light DME in a 3 gallon (full boil) batch. This should put me at roughly 1.043 for my OG, but I measured 1.049. I just dumped a full 3-lb bag of DME into the pot without weighing it first. Is there generally a bit of overfill in a bag of DME? Should I have weighed it out first? Any other reason my OG would be so high?

- All my calculations for IBU were based on roughly a 3 & 1/4 gallon average boil volume (start at 3.5 gallons, boil down to 3ish), but when I added my DME my brew kettle was probably closer to 4 gallons to start because of the added volume of the DME. Do I have to factor in this extra volume in my IBU calculations? Will I end up with a higher IBU than I calculated?

- My @$#%ing digital thermometer's calibration got all messed up while I was cooling my wort (I was wondering why it took so long to come down those last 20 degrees). So I ended up pitching a vial of WLP001 to wort that was about 59F. I have the fermenter in the warmest part of my basement (about 64F ambient). Last night (24 hours later) the wort was reading 64.5F and I saw 1-2 bubbles/minute coming through the airlock. I've read that WLP001 has an optimal temp of 68-73, should I bring the fermenter into a warmer room to get it to warm up a bit, or will it be ok at its current temp?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Some noob questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:42:17 am »
I just brewed my 2nd batch of beer 2 nights ago. It was my first solo batch and also the first time I was brewing a recipe I developed myself. I had a few questions about things that came up.

Congrats on your first solo effort

- My only fermentable was 3lb of light DME in a 3 gallon (full boil) batch. This should put me at roughly 1.043 for my OG, but I measured 1.049. I just dumped a full 3-lb bag of DME into the pot without weighing it first. Is there generally a bit of overfill in a bag of DME? Should I have weighed it out first? Any other reason my OG would be so high?

Either your volumes were off, the bag was a little heavy or you did not get a full and thorough mix so you got some stratification. all nothing to worry about. For the future if you mix i tup really well and still get a high OG you can dilute further with bottled water or boiled and cooled water.

- All my calculations for IBU were based on roughly a 3 & 1/4 gallon average boil volume (start at 3.5 gallons, boil down to 3ish), but when I added my DME my brew kettle was probably closer to 4 gallons to start because of the added volume of the DME. Do I have to factor in this extra volume in my IBU calculations? Will I end up with a higher IBU than I calculated?

I don't think it's going to make that much difference. The higher OG (if it is indeed higher, see above comments) will reduce hop utilization a bit if anything

- My @$#%ing digital thermometer's calibration got all messed up while I was cooling my wort (I was wondering why it took so long to come down those last 20 degrees). So I ended up pitching a vial of WLP001 to wort that was about 59F. I have the fermenter in the warmest part of my basement (about 64F ambient). Last night (24 hours later) the wort was reading 64.5F and I saw 1-2 bubbles/minute coming through the airlock. I've read that WLP001 has an optimal temp of 68-73, should I bring the fermenter into a warmer room to get it to warm up a bit, or will it be ok at its current temp?

It's fine at 64, great in fact. you can warm it up if you want but I wouldn't go above 70 beer temp and I would wait until you see it starting to stall which I suspect it won't do

Thanks in advance,
Eric

**RESPONSE EDITED FOR READABILITY**
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:45:47 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:42:57 am »
1.)  That's pretty darn close for OG.  A slight variation in volume or weight could account for the difference.  I wouldn't worry about it.

2.) I think you're close enough.  IBUs are an approximation, anyway.

3.)  You're better off at lower temps than higher.  The ambient temp doesn't matter, it's the wort/beer temp.  Fermentation will add a few degrees to the temp.  Leave it where it is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:34:56 am »
Congrats on your first solo batch!

Accurate weights and volumes are required for hitting your targets. Calibration of your hydrometer is necessary to be sure about your measurements. Also your final volume measurement is key to the anticipated OG.

I agree with Denny in that your IBU's will be in the ballpark. It's diificult for the homebrewer to actually measure IBU's anyway so I wouldn't concern yoourself with that as long as the hop character is desirable.

The ferm temp is just fine where it's at.

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:52:34 am »
Congrats!

RDWHAHB...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis