Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Zealand recipes?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
New Zealand recipes?
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:24:51 am »
I have a business trip this September to Palmerston North in New Zealand which I'm stretching into a family vacation of at least 10 days, and my "beer friends" in NZ have already promised to take me and my partner to enjoy local brews.

In the meantime, I'm reading up on New Zealand... and of course, would like to "study" the country in advance with recipes and ingredients typical of the region. This also gives me a good focus for my next few homebrews. I have heard a lot about New Zealand hops but would also like to try brewing beers that reflected "traditional" beer and new angles in brewing in that country.

Suggestions welcome! I like pretty much all styles except sour beers.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: New Zealand recipes?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »
Not at all sure if this is even close to "traditional" but I made an (almost) all NZ hopped APA that turned out very nice and disappeared very quickly.

10 lb Munich 1
1 lb homemade amber malt
3 oz C45
2 oz C120

0.5 oz Magnum at 60
0.5 oz each NZ Galaxy, Matouka and Pacific Gem at 10
0.5 oz each NZ Galazy, Matouka and Pacific Gem at flameout
WLP002

Excellent NZ hop flavour, nice tropical fruit.  Gonna be making another batch real soon.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:30:08 pm »
I don't really know anything about the style. It is not included in the BJCP style guidlines but the australian Sparkling Ale has always intrigued me.

Here is some discussion of it http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_Sparkling_Ale

seems like it is sort of a british summer ale or a pale ale with a little wheat added. served mit hefe.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:40:09 pm »
Not at all sure if this is even close to "traditional" but I made an (almost) all NZ hopped APA that turned out very nice and disappeared very quickly.

10 lb Munich 1
1 lb homemade amber malt
3 oz C45
2 oz C120

0.5 oz Magnum at 60
WLP002

Excellent NZ hop flavour, nice tropical fruit.  Gonna be making another batch real soon.

The almost must mean the Magnum, but Galaxy is from Australia.
Matt Brynildson was talking about hops at the NHC and said something about New Zeeland Galaxy hops.  An indignant voice from the back of the room shouted out "that from Australia".

Edit - I only have a little experience with the NZ hops, and find the aroma to be intriguing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:45:20 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »

10 lb Munich 1
1 lb homemade amber malt
3 oz C45
2 oz C120

0.5 oz Magnum at 60
WLP002

Excellent NZ hop flavour, nice tropical fruit.  Gonna be making another batch real soon.

The almost must mean the Magnum, but Galaxy is from Australia.
Matt Brynildson was talking about hops at the NHC and said something about New Zeeland Galaxy hops.  An indignant voice from the back of the room shouted out "that from Australia".

The package says NZ Galaxy but I'm not gonna argue with you.  All I know is it took me a while to find a lb and I'm using them way too fast. 

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
I researched New Zealand recipes a little bit when I was looking for a recipe for some New Zealand Rakau hops I bought. Seems like their recipes are just similar to American and English styles. I could definitely be wrong though, as I barely scratched the surface in that research. Otherwise, I just made a Rakau Pale Ale, and also used Rakau in my Patersbier. Called it "Peter Visits the Kiwis". I would be more than happy to share the Pale Ale recipe, but it was pretty basic. Aroma coming from the fermenter is fantastic though.

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle M.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:21:08 pm »
thanks, all. I am even pondering a small SMaSH or two based on your input.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member