Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Things to do After the NHC.  (Read 4971 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Things to do After the NHC.
« on: February 12, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »
We have some time after the NHC to tour around.  

Sunday and Monday are open as of now, and we will have a car.  Have been to the Olympic Penninsula and Mt. Ranier.

Any suggestions north of Seattle or east?  

Tuesday is the Glass museum in Tacoma, so we can't go too far. Fly back on Wed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Things to do After the NHC.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:04:46 pm »
Victoria is always nice if you feel like making the trip and bring your passport.  It will be too late for the tulips up North.

You could go out to Yakima and check out the area, including the Hop Museum in Toppenish :)

Really, there's a ton of stuff to do - what kind of things do you want to see and do?  That will help narrow it down.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:45:29 pm »
What do you do with a hangover? Cause I'd have a ragin' one if I'd attended! :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »
How about a town with some scenery and a good bar or restaurant?  Short hikes are fine. Is the drive out Snoqualme way to see the falls worth it.  

Have done the San Juan Islands and Friday Harbour too.  My wife would love to see a whale someday.  Our previous attemps have struck out. Need to go to Hawaii someday.

Have been to Victoria, and about halfway up the east side of Vancouver Island.

The hop museum and Yakima might be the ticket.  For me at least.

Euge - why do you think we have a few days after the conference?  Some of our friends looked a little rough at SD when checking out. They had to fly back.  We went to Joshua Tree for a few days.  Retirement has a few perks.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:36:38 pm »
I think Snoqualmie Falls are totally worth it.  If you go further down the road towards the bottom of the falls and take a side road to the fish hatchery you can find a short trail to get a view of the falls from down below.  That's cool too.  And have lunch in Snoqualmie at the brewery, great beers/food/people.
http://fallsbrew.com/

If you're into hiking I recommend Cougar Mountain - it's a network of trails with a little mining history and ruins, you can go on short or long hikes and it's pretty easy.  I did 4+ miles there with the kids last weekend, they had a blast.  It's very popular with trail runners, but that's mostly weekends and they're very polite anyway, especially to a guy with a dog and two small kids who want to stop on the little single file bridge to look at the water :)  It is a short drive from there to Rogue's Issaquah Brewhouse.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/parks/trails/backcountry/cougar_trails.aspx - general info
http://your.kingcounty.gov/ftp/gis/Web/VMC/recreation/BCT_CougarMtn_brochure.pdf - trail map
http://www.rogue.com/locations/rogue-breweries.php#1

Or go up to Anacortes and take the ferry to the San Juan Islands for an overnight trip.

For close in and urban hiking, check out Fremont.  Visit the troll, statue of Lenin, rocket, and have lunch at Brouwers.

Check out the Arboretum.
http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/gardens/wpa.shtml

Rent a kayak and paddle down to the locks.  Or you can just drive over and see them, and maybe see salmon in the fish ladder.
http://www.seattle.gov/tour/locks.htm
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:48:50 pm »
Thanks for that list Tom.  Lots of good tips.

Looks like we could even do the Hop Museum on Sunday, then poke around on the way back.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:05:51 pm »
Thanks for that list Tom.  Lots of good tips.

Looks like we could even do the Hop Museum on Sunday, then poke around on the way back.
No worries. :)

You could do the the Hop Museum on Sunday, but it's ~150 miles from the hotel.  You might not want to blast out there.  Or you might, I guess it will depend on how you feel.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:22:23 pm »
The Locks are great. Then go for a beer  at Ray's Boathouse. Even better if you can time it for sunset over the Olympics.

Woodland Park Zoo is good too.Just up the road is Red Mill and their killer burgers. I have dreams of their chile verde burger.

I'm not going to NHC, but hope to be back in Seattle  in May, while my wife's at a conference. Verde burgers will be consumed
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »
I agree with all of the above comments. However, seriously look into Bellingham.

I went to college there, and thats where I learned about beer, so it will always have some sentimental bias, but it is a great town. If you only go downtown, there are 2 brewpubs, and one about a 20 minute drive outside.

Boundary Bay Brewery and Bistro.
seriously, My wife and I take day trips to Bellingham for this place alone. It is in my mind exactly what a brewpub should be about. They have great beer, great local food, and they are awesome people. Their IPA is the most famous beer on their menu, and I believe it is worth it, its got a great balance. They are known for mostly American/British style ales. I also recommend the great northwest pizza, Salmon, Tomatoes and goat cheese on pesto sauce, you won't find that many places.

www.bbaybrewery.com

Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen
Will Kemper (of Thomas Kemper fame) is the head brewer/owner here, and built this to be a brewery that is the epitome of state of the art. They focus mostly on German Style lagers, but do pull an ale out here and there, and their malt profiles are some of the best I have tasted. They won Small Brewery of the Year at GABF in 2011, taking 2 golds (Kolsch and Helles) a silver and a bronze. I didn't find their food all that amazing, but it is solid fare.

www.chuckanutbreweryandkitchen.com

The North Fork Brewery and Pizzeria, beer shrine and wedding chapel
Really, need I say more?

http://www.northforkbrewery.com/

Also, Both downtown and Fairhaven are extremely walker friendly, and there is lots to do outside the city for outdoorsy types.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »
Wow, more good stuff.  Keep it coming.  Have not been as far north as Bellingham. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:51:59 am »
Wow, more good stuff.  Keep it coming.  Have not been as far north as Bellingham. 
He's right, I should have included Bellingham.  Great place, lots of fun.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:40 am »
He's right, I should have included Bellingham.  Great place, lots of fun.

I thought about going to college in Bellingham. ended up in new mexico but it was a close call.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »
Drive to Astoria, Oregon and go to the Goonies house.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958