Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ommegang  (Read 3797 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Ommegang
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:45:48 pm »
I've had this plenty of times but the price was right today and the selection pitiful. At first I thought ooh a bad bottle since it was a little sweet at first. But it's nicely carbonated and since warming up is showcasing some nutty fruity flavors. Alcohol bitterness over the hops- they're there but the malt and yeast are the stars here.

Light in body too. Again drinkable. Middleweight at 8.5% abv. Awesome beer

One thing bothers me though: this says its made in Belgium not New York state. Thought it was made in the US...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Ommegang
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:55:34 am »
I've had this plenty of times but the price was right today and the selection pitiful. At first I thought ooh a bad bottle since it was a little sweet at first. But it's nicely carbonated and since warming up is showcasing some nutty fruity flavors. Alcohol bitterness over the hops- they're there but the malt and yeast are the stars here.

One thing bothers me though: this says its made in Belgium not New York state. Thought it was made in the US...

ommegang was purchased by, I think, interbrew. or one of the other giant euro brands. some of it is still brewed in NY but alot of it is now import. Also not as good as I remember.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:12 am »
I tried their Abbey Ale for the first time in a long time and it was better than I remembered it. Nice dark fruit taste.  I also had Hennepin more recently and I remembered it being better.  My wife and I went to the brewery in Cooperstown in 2000. It was a cool place to see a Belgian brewery without having to travel far.
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:02:14 am »
Have to add that it was the Dubbel- though Ommegang may be what the Dubbel is called. Label is already gone and all I got left is an plain brown bottle.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:08 am »

ommegang was purchased by, I think, interbrew. or one of the other giant euro brands. some of it is still brewed in NY but alot of it is now import. Also not as good as I remember.

Owned by the Moortgat Brewery (Duvel).  Which may in turn be owned by Interbrew.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:43:27 am »

Owned by the Moortgat Brewery (Duvel).  Which may in turn be owned by Interbrew.
Moorgat is still family owned as far as I know. Some production was in Belgium while the brewery in Copperstown was being expanded.  Now it is produced in the US, unless I missed another one.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:50:57 am »
Man wish I had kept that label. Grrr!

I've known the brewery was closely aligned with Moortgat but didn't see the "Duvel" on the back label where it usually is. The front definitely and proudly stated "Made in Belgium for..." Maybe I got an older bottle. There wasn't a date on the cork however. :-\

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »
A Google search showed they made some beers at Moorgaat in 2006, but now all in NY.  That was Wikipedia, so take that for what it is.

Haven't had any in a while, so can't comment on the label.  Well the one in the basement says part of the Duvel family of beers, brewed and bottled by Ommegang in US.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »
A Google search showed they made some beers at Moorgaat in 2006, but now all in NY.  That was Wikipedia, so take that for what it is.

Haven't had any in a while, so can't comment on the label.  Well the one in the basement says part of the Duvel family of beers, brewed and bottled by Ommegang in US.

Well if that bottle was 6 years old it tasted damn good!

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
A few years ago the price of Ommegang beers was really cheap in central NY.  I used to find them for $4.99 pretty much everywhere.  They have now increased the prices to $7-8 therefore I purchase it less often.  My experience with their beers is that they can be very good but a little variable.  The Ommegang Abbey Ale which is kind of a big Dubbel is one of the better ones.  I read somewhere that they make it without Dark Candi Sugar but a ton of specialty malts - aromatic, special b, caramunich.  I also like the Hennepin.  I believe they use a derivative of WLP500.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:07:54 pm »
So the top photo is from a place called "The Wine Rack" which has the best selection in the area evidently. They have the US-made Dubbel. The next photo is from the local HEB which is very fancy, has everything you can think of except a great selection of beer. Well they had 4 more bottles that said "Made in Belgium" so I bought them. These will get placed in a nice dark stable place. Bet they don't last the year because this brew is really nice. ;)

What a difference in the labels huh?

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:35 am »
Ommegang's Belgian Pale Ale is really good.  I also enjoy the abbey ale.  The wife and I are taking a road trip up to Niagara Falls in June with a stop for two nights in Cooperstown.  We will be visiting the brewery and the baseball hall of fame. 
Homebrewed since 2010