Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: becoming a beer judge  (Read 4980 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: becoming a beer judge
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 03:13:24 pm »
- -

EDIT: Any current National judge can retake the exam regardless of taste or essay score.

Rub it in, dude....  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »
Just retake the taste...AGAIN...you old coot!!!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 03:19:08 pm »
Just retake the taste...AGAIN...you old coot!!!

I will...as soon as it stops hurting from the last time!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 04:04:56 pm »
i need to redo the written.  It's going to be a while before I feel like studying for it. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:04 pm »
i have to study this year for my medical bard recert next year, but i am going to squeeze in the BJCP if i can
Don AHA member

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:05 pm »
It should be noted the blog link is in not an official BJCP notification, the official details will be released on the BJCP website in due time!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:14 pm »
i need to redo the written. It's going to be a while before I feel like studying for it. :-\

Tell me about it... :(

Ron Price

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 07:59:14 pm »
I know the information, but need serious practice to convey it in the time allotted. With the new exam only bein 1.5 hours it should prove easier, for me at least. Also the hand cramp factor will be much, much less.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 10:33:12 pm »
So seeing as I'm newbie to the home brew scene, i was wondering if there were any classes programs to become a judge or at least a class to become a better beer taster?

Another option to consider is stewarding at a homebrew competition. It gives you an idea of what beer judging is like. If you're paired with good judges and express interest in the BJCP program, if they have time they will try to mentor you a bit as they judge.

If you're just wanting to learn to troubleshoot problems, as opposed to learning about beer styles or judging, books like Al Korzonas' "Homebrewing Vol. 1" and John Palmer's "How to Brew" are good starting points, since they have lots of good information about the brewing process and troubleshooting. Troubleshooting columns in HB magazines are also good sources of info.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 06:12:39 am »
Maybe I should have given a little background. The original note discussed the 4 beer taste exam AND the 6 beer taste exam. In reality the rule will be 80% or better on the taste AND 10 judging experience points.

I have it correctly stated in my previously posted quotation.
Thanks thats kind of what I thought.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 10:10:47 am »
I agree that the 90min exam shouldn't be as difficult, not the marathon the current exam is.  Thats 15min per essay question with 15min for the multiple choice, I think I can do that.

Couple more questions, you said the online exam is pass/fail but what is the passing grade?  60%?  75%?  And to take the exam to become National you have to have 10 points, but to actually get National you still need 20pts right?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:38:54 pm by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 03:14:51 pm »
Yes, to get to National you need 20 points.

As far as passing the web-based exam, I would only be guessing if I said the threshold was 60% correct. Whatever the level, it is a pass/fail exam so the more correct the more likely the examinee will pass ;)