Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: draft tower mounting dilemma  (Read 3117 times)

Offline tonian

• 1st Kit
draft tower mounting dilemma
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:28:43 pm »
I'm pretty lucky... I've got a woman in my life that know just how happy beer makes me. So, I've got the go ahead to install a draft tower at the kitchen sink. Yea!
Problem is..... the base of a typical straight column draft tower is 4.5” in diameter and the surface of the sink edge where the tower would mount, will only allow for about 3.25” (without any ugly overlap of the basin.) Also, the hole in the sink for the extra faucet/tower is only 1.5” in diameter. Finally, this is a cast iron sink, so modification to the sink is pretty much out of the question. Any ideas?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: draft tower mounting dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:35:03 am »
Uhhhhh . . . find another spot?  Counter near the sink, through the wall from the garage, I don't know.  Have you figured out where you are going to keep the kegs yet, and how you are going to keep them cold?  I would start there, then figure out where to put the tap.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:46 am »
Unless you want to go through a lot of extra work...I would find a better location where the base will mount flush. How about adjacent to the sink and just install a drip tray with a drain line to the sink.
Ron Price

Offline tonian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:49 pm »
The sink is against the wall of our back entry, where the kegs would sit in a mini fridge. The draft line would only run about 2 ft. to the tower at the sink. Unfortunately, due to the configuration of our kitchen, this is the only spot it would really work.
Yes, I suppose I could just mount a tower to the mini fridge and walk an extra 6 feet into the entryway, but that really defeats the appeal of it all.
Does anyone know of an affordable, preferably 2 faucet, "spine" tower with a smaller base? and if so, will a 1 1/2 in. hole be wide enough for the tower shank?

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:50:29 pm »
foxxequipment.com
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »
Do you really need the tower?  I think it's an unnecessary expense.

It sounds to me like you could come out of the top of the mini fridge and straight through the wall with a long shank and have the tap mount right there.  Enclose the whole thing with a little computer fan to circulate the cold air and you'll be loving it.  Then the nice thing about that is that you can always add more taps later :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:42:54 pm »
You are going to have to get creative sounds like. Might not be as originally envisioned since you cannot modify the sink.

Or is it a will not modify the sink? I think a dremel could grind away any ceramic in the way and actually cast iron is easy to drill and cut. Hello hole-saw! The overlap might be solved with a piece of tile cut to fit.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:24:10 am »
I like Tom's idea. If the fridge is behind that wall, just run the shanks right through above the sink. You can mount them to a piece of fancy wood or tile on the inside to make it look nice. 
Mark Gres

Offline tonian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:16:29 pm »
Or is it a will not modify the sink?

yeah, I must admit, either the wall which is tiled up to the cabinets, and the sink are both possibilities if I was so inclined.... but, drilling and cutting is something I'm hesitant about simply for the fact we may not be in this house 5 years from now. I guess I just have to be real with myself and figure out how badly I want this. Cheers!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »
Patching a hole in the wall is way easier than in the counter.  You should be able to get a matching tile pretty easily, or they may be hidden in the shed like the ones the previous owners left behind here :)

You'll figure something out, I'm sure.
Tom Schmidlin