Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Which method do you use for your big-batch brewing?

Steam
Electric
Gas
Bacon
No pants

Author Topic: Steam vs Electric vs Gas?  (Read 21434 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Steam vs Electric vs Gas?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2011, 06:15:46 am »
I've got low watt density elements in mine. It's still a problem. Its not so much the drinking that screws you up (though you don;t want to get hammered for sure) its the distractions, like a visitor or keg pick up or delivery man.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »
went through this thread because i am planning a small new electric brewery for home and found the discussion on tankless versus tank water heaters interesting. a year ago i went through this before replacing my water heater.  the problem i had was that where i live the water is so cold that the flow output has to be reduced enormously to get the water to temp.  this could be avoided by buying a higher capacity unit but then the cost savings were not enough to make up for the cost of the unit.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »
Would a large electric coffee urn work? I've seen some that hold at least three gallons. You might have to tinker with it to allow boiling.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2012, 07:18:32 pm »
Did some looking around and think this might be perfect: http://www.katom.com/131-CS115.html?cid=googlebase%20&zmam=29342707&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=131-CS115

Pricey? Yes. But this should work well for those small batches. The spigot would need replacing perhaps for something that would work better.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52:13 am »
euge, thanks for that link. the one in question is pricey but i suspect some others are not. i had thought of getting one a few years ago to try but then tried the electric roaster oven  just could not bring/sustain a boil with it.  may check some of the thrift shops etc to see if i can get a used one to test this out.
Don AHA member