Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Milk stout recipe  (Read 29537 times)

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
Re: Milk stout recipe
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 04:53:53 am »
@alcapone

Sweeat Stouts usually have Lactose added to them so do add some of that! anywhere from a 1/2 lb to full pound is usually the sweet spot depending on how sweet you want the beer.

A good question to ask you guys is what do YOU want out of the beer. What flavors and mouthfeel are you looking for?

Thanks for mentioning that!  Actually I just went and looked, and there is a pound of lactose in the kit that I forgot to mention...  :o

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:36 am »
Here is the exact recipe and procedure I'm using for my sweet stout.  I'm brewing it right now:

Sweet Stout

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31:07 am »
Here is the exact recipe and procedure I'm using for my sweet stout.  I'm brewing it right now:

Sweet Stout

That recipe looks good! I actually just did a sweet stout and split the batch with WLP 002 and WLP 005.  I do enjoy both strains in sweet stouts but now have a nice side by side to go by when theyre ready.

Oh and the lactose...toms suggestion works. Some folks add it at the beginning of the boil others like myself and I believe Left Hand also add the lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:12 pm »
Here is the exact recipe and procedure I'm using for my sweet stout.  I'm brewing it right now:

Sweet Stout

That recipe looks good! I actually just did a sweet stout and split the batch with WLP 002 and WLP 005.  I do enjoy both strains in sweet stouts but now have a nice side by side to go by when theyre ready.

Oh and the lactose...toms suggestion works. Some folks add it at the beginning of the boil others like myself and I believe Left Hand also add the lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I went with the beginning of the boil for the lactose.  I'm not experienced enough to know the difference.  I will report on how this one comes out in about six weeks!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
I went with the beginning of the boil for the lactose.  I'm not experienced enough to know the difference.  I will report on how this one comes out in about six weeks!
:)  It's the lack of experience with this recipe that made me recommend adding it later.  I'm sure it will be fine though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 04:34:36 pm »
:)  It's the lack of experience with this recipe that made me recommend adding it later.  I'm sure it will be fine though.

Is there an obvious scientific reason why one method is better than the other?  Or is there an "experience and taste" reason, even if not quantifiably scientific, that would make one way better?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »

Is there an obvious scientific reason why one method is better than the other?  Or is there an "experience and taste" reason, even if not quantifiably scientific, that would make one way better?
No, one way is not better than another.  I was just thinking that since you are not familiar with what the final beer will taste like, leaving the lactose out would be prudent.  That way you could taste the final beer and decide how much you wanted to add, it might not need any at all if it finishes sweet.  Or you might only want to add half as much.  Not that lactose is really all that sweet, but I'm a fan of waiting and tasting before deciding what to do.

But since you already added it, RDWHAHB. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 07:09:04 pm »
Don't be afraid of pitching an attentuative yeast for a milk stout.  (5 gallon batch)  I added 1 lb of lactose ( at 10 mins left) , and pitched SafBrew S-33, highly attentuative and still ended at 1.030.  A nice sweet, milk stout.  I would actually be careful about a Whitbread yeast, possibly leaving it too high, maybe?  Pitch a yeast with good attentuation, don't let the OG fool you.  It'll still finish high, the lactose is not devoured by the yeast.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:13:19 pm by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »
So i finally had time to brew today

here is what i ended up with
1lb black patent malt
3/4lb chocolate malt
1/2lb carapils
1/2lb crystal 80 (English)
1oz cascade 60min
.5oz styrian goldings 60min
.5oz styrian goldings 30min
1lb lactose 13min
WLP002- English Ale Yeast
6lbs light LME
3.5gal boil

waiting on the wort to chill (haven't purchased a wort chiller yet) can't wait to taste it once it cools down
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 10:26:30 am »
Looks tasty.  My wort was pretty darn tasty when I tasted the gravity sample.  Quite bitter (normal for wort, so I read), quite sweet, and definitely promising!  Make sure to let us know how it comes out, I will too!

I just got my wort chiller.  Need to get a different fitting for the sink, it came with one for an outdoor hose, but that's no big deal.  I won't be brewing for at least another week or two anyway.  I don't even have any ingredients for my next brew yet!

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »
My tasted pretty darn good, little bitter, but sweet, some coffee and chocolate notes should be better once it's carbonated. however, i was letting my 5yr old cousin help me brew and he added the yeast before i took a OG reading, so i guess i will be using the estimated OG.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:48 pm »
My tasted pretty darn good, little bitter, but sweet, some coffee and chocolate notes should be better once it's carbonated. however, i was letting my 5yr old cousin help me brew and he added the yeast before i took a OG reading, so i guess i will be using the estimated OG.

you can still take a gravity reading after adding the yeast. as long as it hasn't started fermenting which takes a couple hours at least.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce