Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Feynman  (Read 3381 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Feynman
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:04 pm »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Feynman
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:23 pm »
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:33:11 pm »
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?

I don't know. Really.

Love it. An honest person. Finally.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »
Oh, but he does know.  Just being able to explain without a familiar analogy (cheating) is not possible.  It is a fundamental force.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »
The question was about feeling the force. How does one quantify that objectively when it is subjective? He did a great job as an instructor to a layman. Clever though using ice. It all boils down to electromagnetism for everything.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:11:56 am »
Well, that... and three other fundamental forces, that we know of.

And then there is The Force.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:43:42 am »
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Sounds like Kirk fighting the Gorn.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:57:49 pm »
Really wonderful video. I was just reading a book by Feynman a couple of weeks ago. He was so talented at so many things ( he was also, if I remember correctly, a wonderful composer), that his colleagues would try to trip him up on various things. I will try to relate this anecdote he tells in it as I remember it, but it is probably slightly off. So, they asked one of their colleagues (who was Chinese) to greet Feynman. She says something, and then he responds. She throws up her hands and says "Of course this would happen! I say something to him in Mandarin and he responds in Cantonese".
Kyle M.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »
You better be prepared for a heaping earful  when you ask him a question.  ;) :)
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 05:44:37 pm »
You better be prepared for a heaping earful  when you ask him a question.  ;) :)
Did you know him?  He passed some years back.
I worked with a guy who did his PhD at Caltech.  He said you would know it was a good partyFeynmann was there.  He was was the life of the party, though he had given up drin.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »
I worked with a guy who did his PhD at Caltech.  He said you would know it was a good partyFeynmann was there.  He was was the life of the party, though he had given up drin.

I didn't know him...but I've listened to his youtube videos. He's got some very deep philosophical views on a lot of things. An eccentric of sorts...based on my limited exposure to him.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 07:44:57 pm »

I didn't know him...but I've listened to his youtube videos. He's got some very deep philosophical views on a lot of things. An eccentric of sorts...based on my limited exposure to him.

Having worked on the Manhatten Project, and having witnessed the Trinity test, and having seen what happened soon there after would make one philosophical.

He died of stomach cancer shortly after serving on the Challenger inquiry.  He pulled a rubber O-ring from a glass of ice water and commented on how it was no longer pliable in the one panel discussion that was saying that the low temps at launch had little to do with it. A true genius, read the book "Genius" to get more on his life.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:55:03 pm »
You better be prepared for a heaping earful  when you ask him a question.  ;) :)
Did you know him?  He passed some years back.
I worked with a guy who did his PhD at Caltech.  He said you would know it was a good partyFeynmann was there.  He was was the life of the party, though he had given up drin.

Having worked on the Manhatten Project, and having witnessed the Trinity test, and having seen what happened soon there after would make one philosophical.

He died of stomach cancer shortly after serving on the Challenger inquiry.  He pulled a rubber O-ring from a glass of ice water and commented on how it was no longer pliable in the one panel discussion that was saying that the low temps at launch had little to do with it. A true genius, read the book "Genius" to get more on his life.

This one sums it up!  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmbwczTC6E&feature=player_embedded#!

edit: I have to agree with Tom...this guy is fascinating.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:03:17 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price