Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY pumps  (Read 11311 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: DIY pumps
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:04 am »
I read a piece on another forum about a guy who was building a DIY peristaltic pump from some silicon tubeing, a couple of skateboard wheels and an axle/motor thing. basically, if I remember correctly, the skateboard wheel pressed the tube between itself and the inner wall of a cylinder so when the axle rotated it would continuously squeeze the tube as it goes around. a couple of wheels keeps the action going constantly.

well that's about as clear as mud, but perhaps some of you engineer types can make something of it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 10:02:22 am »
I read a piece on another forum about a guy who was building a DIY peristaltic pump from some silicon tubeing, a couple of skateboard wheels and an axle/motor thing. basically, if I remember correctly, the skateboard wheel pressed the tube between itself and the inner wall of a cylinder so when the axle rotated it would continuously squeeze the tube as it goes around. a couple of wheels keeps the action going constantly.

well that's about as clear as mud, but perhaps some of you engineer types can make something of it.

I always thought peristaltic pumps would make good brewing pumps since the liquid never leaves the tubing. Real ones are expensive though, but homemade would be great.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:29 am »
Most of the water and oil pumps I see on cars are aluminum and need to be belt driven.  I'm not sure there would be much of an advantage to making this fit into a homebrew system.  On the other hand, a heater core or an a/c evaporator makes a nice pre chiller for water to a wort chiller.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 10:08:11 am »

I always thought peristaltic pumps would make good brewing pumps since the liquid never leaves the tubing. Real ones are expensive though, but homemade would be great.

alright here is the link (sorry to cross post from another forum) http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cake-pan-skateboard-wheel-bike-brakes-homemade-peristaltic-pump-279120/
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 12:39:25 pm »
Damn that looks pretty awesome. And doable for the DIY'er!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

coastsidemike

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »
afaik, the peristaltic/tube pump thing is perfect DIY material.  The cake pan implementation - very nice.