Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Headspace for a lager  (Read 12300 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Headspace for a lager
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 12:29:51 pm »
you mean like the wet hopped Black Pale Ale I brewed with bottom fermenting yeast? I did a secondary fermentation too!  ;D
Yes!  >:(
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 01:11:48 pm »
[quote author=richardt link=topic=10920.msg136295#msg136295 date=1329244998

Purists will still say that lager yeasts (S. pastorianus, nee S. carlsbergensis) can fully metabolize melbiose, raffinose, etc. and are genetically distinct from ale yeast (S. cervesiae).  Other lager yeast strains include S. bayanus and S. uvarum.  Anyone who has watched the hypnotic effects of active fermentation (of any yeast type) in a clear fermentor will agree that there's a lot of movement during fermentation, so it's probably time to stop using the inaccurate terms "top-fermenting" and "bottom-fermenting."
[/quote]

Maybe "cold and warm" fermenting yeast? I guess warm is just relative as I don't think 68 is but 65 is when my heater comes on.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 01:52:11 pm »
Maybe "cold and warm" fermenting yeast? I guess warm is just relative as I don't think 68 is but 65 is when my heater comes on.
Lager yeast will ferment warm too.  And then where do you put the Belgian strains?  Cold, warm, and warmer? ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:03 pm »
Lager yeast will ferment warm too.  And then where do you put the Belgian strains?  Cold, warm, and warmer? ;)

Well they all can ferment warm. Maybe we should just stick to ale and lager but drop the top and bottom nonsense. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:58:03 pm »
Isn't there a genetic marker that differentiates the two types? the ability to metabolize a particular kind of sugar right?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »
Well they all can ferment warm. Maybe we should just stick to ale and lager but drop the top and bottom nonsense. ;D
sure ;)

Isn't there a genetic marker that differentiates the two types? the ability to metabolize a particular kind of sugar right?
Yes, raffinose is commonly mentioned as something lager yeasts can ferment but ale yeasts cannot.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 04:10:13 pm »
sure ;)

Yes, raffinose is commonly mentioned as something lager yeasts can ferment but ale yeasts cannot.

I suppose raffinose tolerant and raffinose intolerant is a little cumbersome in everyday conversation though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 01:07:05 am »
I suppose raffinose tolerant and raffinose intolerant is a little cumbersome in everyday conversation though.
Both tolerate it, but only one can use it as a carbon source.  Competent is a more correct word, but still awkward. :)

Lager and ale are good enough in most cases.
Tom Schmidlin