Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe similarity in competition  (Read 6875 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Recipe similarity in competition
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:17 am »
So what's the best options for packaging?  I'm using a tube at lower pressure on a picnic tap and filling to the top, removing the tube and capping.  There isn't always foam up to the mouth of the bottle.  I know there should be but I don't want to create a bunch of foam either and end up short filled. 
I don't have a beer gun, I've debated it.  Is it really worth it?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 11:45:00 am »
They talk about it (beer gun) a bit in this show: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/794

I'm not convinced it is necessary but others swear by this piece of equipment.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:53 pm »
Our club did an activity that really reinforced this, at least to me.  Ingredients were bought in bulk and weighed out at a club meeting to make a beer.  The variables were the water, and the brewers equipement and technique.  The beers were then judged.  Would you think that there was almost a 20 point high from low to high?  There was.  Same recipe, ingredients were the same.

A few years ago, our HB club did the same thing, with just about the same results. Recipe is just a starting place, technique and ingredients count for a lot more.