Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water  (Read 13642 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Bru'n Water
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:28 pm »
So I got a great deal on this RO/DI water system-6 stage supposed to distill the water to basically nothing.

I downloaded Bru'n Water(thanks Martin!) and am building my water profile for the first batch Ill brew brewing on with the new water system next weekend. A Belgian Tripel inspired by Chimay. The grain bill is nothing but Belgian Pils and a half pound of Belgian Aromatic.  I do a protein rest at 131 and then mash around 150.

So I set my water profile for Chimay(boiled) and then starting adding various salts.

I came up with:(for 7.5 gallons of mash water)

1.5g Epsom Salt
.8g Baking Soda
1.5g Calcium Chloride
1g Chalk

Leaving me with a finished profile of:

28.1 ppm Calcium
5.2ppm Mg
7.2ppm Sodium
20.6ppm Chloride
61.1 ppm BiCarbonate

Does this seem about right? Also in regards to the sparge water should I add the same salts to that except the baking soda and chalk. Or should I just add some phosphoric acid to lower the ph to 5.5 as Gordon Strong does in most of his recipes? Im a little confused.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Bru'n Water
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
Don't add alkalinity producing minerals unless the mash pH says its going to be too low.  I also recommend that a higher calcium target be used in order to promote good clearing and flocculation of the yeast. 

I realize you're trying to duplicate the local Chimay water, but that water profile still doesn't provide a brewer with the other things that the Chimay brewers do to their water. 

Personally, I would use the Yellow Balanced profile for a Tripel. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »
Thanks Martin, I have a lot to learn about this stuff.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:53 pm »
Changed it up to Yellow Balanced and am now adding only:

3 grams of Calcium Chloride and 3 grams of Gypsum each to the mash.

Giving me 53.4 Calcium
               59 Sulfate
               51 Chloride

As for the sparge water just treat with some phosphoric acid to get the ph down to 5.5. Sound better?
Jason

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:32:34 pm »
Changed it up to Yellow Balanced and am now adding only:

3 grams of Calcium Chloride and 3 grams of Gypsum each to the mash.

Giving me 53.4 Calcium
               59 Sulfate
               51 Chloride

As for the sparge water just treat with some phosphoric acid to get the ph down to 5.5. Sound better?

I treat the sparge with the same amount of CaCl2, Gypsum or salt to keep all of those the same.  Nothing to raise pH in the sparge.  Acidify to 5.5 or so wiht acid.  So it is add some salts and adjust the pH with acid.

I like to get the Ca up in the sparge water so that I don't dilute it in the beer.  That has helped keep beerstone in check.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »
I like to keep the water profile the same for mashing and sparging, excepting for the alkalinity requirements of the mash.  Sparge water alkalinity should be low (as evidenced by the pH in the range of 5.5 to 6).
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:19:35 am »
Perfect. I dont think Im going to have Phosphoric acid for this go around so Im going to use Lactic Acid to lower my sparge ph if needed.  Ive heard Lactic acid can be unstable at higher temps, any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Jason

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:02:03 am »
Perfect. I dont think Im going to have Phosphoric acid for this go around so Im going to use Lactic Acid to lower my sparge ph if needed.  Ive heard Lactic acid can be unstable at higher temps, any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I think they are talking about the storage stability of the acid when subjected to higher temps, not its stability when added to mash or sparge water.  Once it hits the water, the hydrogen protons neutralize the bicarbonate and its job is done.  The lactate ions stay in solution.   No worries for stability.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »
Can't thank you enough Martin! Greatly appreciated.
Jason

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »
JM: Are you using Castle pils? IIRC Castle's pils is pretty well modified. I'm not sure you need a protein rest with that one.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »
JM: Are you using Castle pils? IIRC Castle's pils is pretty well modified. I'm not sure you need a protein rest with that one.

Nope I use Weyermann German Pils and Pale Wheat in my hefe.  It doesn't really NEED a protein rest but Ive found it does help with head retention when I do one with this malt, which is important in a hefe.

Never tried the Castle Pils, Ill have to check it out next grain haul. Hows it taste?
Jason

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »
Nope I use Weyermann German Pils and Pale Wheat in my hefe.  It doesn't really NEED a protein rest but Ive found it does help with head retention when I do one with this malt, which is important in a hefe.

Never tried the Castle Pils, Ill have to check it out next grain haul. Hows it taste?

I haven't used Castle in a while, but I don't remember it being exceptional. Definitely made good beer, but I can't tell the difference between it and Rahr pils.

Are you doing a Hefe? I thought you were doing a tripel.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:21 pm »

I haven't used Castle in a while, but I don't remember it being exceptional. Definitely made good beer, but I can't tell the difference between it and Rahr pils.

Are you doing a Hefe? I thought you were doing a tripel.

OH Oh im doing a hefe this weekend, im bass ackwards.  The Tripel is next weekend.  I use Dingemans in my tripel and all belgian beers.
Jason

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:00 pm »
Got a couple weeks of water modification under my belt now. Im starting to feel more comfortable.  One issue I seem to be having is properly acidifying my sparge water.

My new water system gives me a TDS meter reading of 0 and a ph reading of 7.2.  I bought a hannah ph meter and calibrated it properly.  I have lactic acid and phosphoric acid available to acidify my sparge water.

When i added 2 drops of phosphoric acid my ph read 4.6 and had a similar result adding lactic acid.  The sample was read around 80 degrees F.  Whats a typical addition of acid per say 10 gallons of water at my ph? I cant seem to figure out the right dosage.
Jason

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:15 pm »
Got a couple weeks of water modification under my belt now. Im starting to feel more comfortable.  One issue I seem to be having is properly acidifying my sparge water.

My new water system gives me a TDS meter reading of 0 and a ph reading of 7.2.  I bought a hannah ph meter and calibrated it properly.  I have lactic acid and phosphoric acid available to acidify my sparge water.

When i added 2 drops of phosphoric acid my ph read 4.6 and had a similar result adding lactic acid.  The sample was read around 80 degrees F.  Whats a typical addition of acid per say 10 gallons of water at my ph? I cant seem to figure out the right dosage.

I do 10 gallons, so I have found that 4 drops of 75% phosphoric in the RO water gets it close.  I measure, and then take it down with more acid, or up with a little (and I mean a little) pickling lime until it is in the mash range.  I am happy with 5.2 to 5.5 for the sparge water, and I fly sparge - most times.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!