Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What NOT to do when you have beer fermenting in a freezer chest  (Read 8422 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: What NOT to do when you have beer fermenting in a freezer chest
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:51 pm »
So damp-rid absorbs the gasses coming out of the fermenter?

No it absorbs the condensation that forms on the side walls and on the floor from a chest freezer at below above freezing temps...hence eliminating the need to stick my head down there to wipe up the little puddles and acid wash my alveoli lol.
Typo ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 08:13:54 am »
Thanks Tom!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:52 am »
How long before damp-rid typically needs to be changed out if you have your controller set to about 64F? (Not that a couple degrees is going to make any difference...)
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 10:23:48 am »
How long before damp-rid typically needs to be changed out if you have your controller set to about 64F? (Not that a couple degrees is going to make any difference...)
It is more about the humidity where you live - the damprid dries out the air, preventing condensation.  The more you are in and out of the freezer, the more often you're going to have to change it out.  I got the ones that have a little strainer that sits in a container, so as it absorbs water and dissolves it drips to the bottom.  When it is gone, you dump the water, refill with more damprid, and stick it back in the freezer.  Mine can easily go a couple of months without being replaced, but I don't get into the freezer that often, I'm just swapping out kegs.  When I ferment in the one freezer I have to replace the damprid more often, because that raised the humidity in there.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 10:34:13 am »
The first time was the last time I did that. It was a wake up call for sure. Now I just  gentlysniff the air above the the fermenter in the freezer. You brew and you learn.  :)
Ron Price

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 10:46:19 am »
Does anyone know the contents of the gas coming out of the carboy besides CO2?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline skywest7

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:07 am »
I found this: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-reg-Safe-Dri-Rechargeable-Moisture-Control/product/74814/47198 while on a hunt for some DampRid.  It's a little more expensive, but it's "rechargeable," so you don't have to buy refills.  When the blue indicators crystals turn pink, it's time to pop the container in the oven for a bit to dry them back out.  Very simple, and it would definitely be cheaper in the long run...

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:07 pm »
I use one of these:http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331235692&sr=8-2. The base plugs into my power strip to heat and dry it v.s. sticking it in the oven. I found a small fan makes it more efficient which would probably help a bucket of Damp Rid as well.