Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: using up for melanoidin and victory malts  (Read 2332 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
using up for melanoidin and victory malts
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »
I have about 4-5# each of Weyerman Melanoidin and Breiss Victory Malt that I got for recipes that I don't plan to brew again... what styles of beers could I "hide" 8oz or a pound of these in... could I, for instance, replace 8 oz of pale malt with 8oz of melanoidin in a red ale or amber ale.... or slip some victory into a brown ale?  Any other suggestions?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: using up for melanoidin and victory malts
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:28:25 pm »
Why not? Certainly doesnt hurt to try it out. May turn out good!

Victory in a Brown is yummy. Toasty nutty flavors.

Melanoidin gives a very red color and instensifies maltiness.  Good in Scottish beers and bocks too!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:30:45 pm »
Why not? Certainly doesnt hurt to try it out.

Well in general that may be true but I have heard bad things about too much melanoidin (words like "meaty" and "brothy") so I am wondering if there is some sort of upper limit.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:51 am »
I haven't used much melanoidin malt, but I usually put 8 oz of victory in all of my hoppy american beers.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:35:28 am »
Why not? Certainly doesnt hurt to try it out.

Well in general that may be true but I have heard bad things about too much melanoidin (words like "meaty" and "brothy") so I am wondering if there is some sort of upper limit.

This is true. I personally have gone up to a half pound per 5 gallon batch and enjoyed the results in certain beer styles.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.