Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Article on Hops in the Willamette Valley  (Read 5249 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Article on Hops in the Willamette Valley
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 10:00:04 am »
The hop staging area. Where the guys who work there have coveralls, hoodies, and protective masks (cold in there and you would want to keep the dust out of your lungs).  The hops are shoveled into the big "garbage cans" on wheels to be taken to the brew house.  That was overload for a homebrewer.

We were there in '09.  The research lab guy had a sample of Willamette from a ladies farm, and he said you could help her out by buy some, like a couple sacks, as AB stopped using Willamette.  The name in the article rang a bell.  Acres of Willamette are in steep decline due to less demand. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:03:44 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:13 am »
Part of the reason hop acreage has declined is that American macrobrews have been getting less hoppy over time, Shellhammer says. Tests show Budweiser was twice as bitter in the 1970s as it is today. Hops are the most expensive ingredient in beer, so cutting them helps the bottom line. “They take it out slowly and no one really recognizes it’s changing,” Shellhammer says.

I'll have something with more than a few ounces per barrel of hops, please.  And no, I don't want to be weaned off of them over time.   ::)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:08:49 pm »
I'll have something with more than a few ounces per barrel of hops, please.  And no, I don't want to be weaned off of them over time.   ::)

Yeah I saw that too. I'm too young to have drunk Bud in the 70's, but a Bud with twice as much hops actually sounds pretty good to me.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 12:27:38 pm »
Bud with twice as much hops sounds like Budvar to me ;-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »

I think it would be higher than twice to match Budvar.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 12:41:31 pm »

A friend of mine makes a great budvar clone.  I'm going to try it sometime in the future when I'm set up to do lagers. :D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »

Yeah I saw that too. I'm too young to have drunk Bud in the 70's, but a Bud with twice as much hops actually sounds pretty good to me.

I was teaching a BJCP study group and we were doing off flavor tasting.  One of the flavors was to spike the base beer (Bud) so that it was more bitter.  Nobody could figure pout what it was, but every person in the group swore the spiked beer tasted better than the base!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:47 pm »

I was teaching a BJCP study group and we were doing off flavor tasting.  One of the flavors was to spike the base beer (Bud) so that it was more bitter.  Nobody could figure pout what it was, but every person in the group swore the spiked beer tasted better than the base!

are club did a two parter on off tastes and there were actually a couple that made the natural light taste better. I think bitter was one and maybe even dyacetyl (sp)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 06:20:48 pm »
I think you are mistaken.
Bud does not come anywhere close to Budvar.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »
I think this is healthy for the craft beer industry. I commend Indie Hops for not only trying to grow hops in a recessed area, but also contributing to the betterment of the industry by donating to the education system.

I had to laugh at the first comment at the very end of the article. It just goes to show the trend of the average American Palate. Watered down and just plain nasty swill. Bud has gotten so watered down to the point of no return.
Ron Price