Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Go Down  (Read 74899 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Go Down
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »
But if IE9 removed functionality, why would it affect those of us on firefox?
Well, I only know enough to have bad ideas.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 01:49:26 am »
Oh.  Here I thought you might be on to something ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24:52 am »
Okay...now when I hit "new" it jumps to the proper place...anybody else?

Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 06:38:44 am »
Oh.  Here I thought you might be on to something ;D
Although if the functionality has been deprecated, then it would dissappear eventually from all browsers, not just IE9.  Older browsers were forgiving of html errors, but with the recent proliferation of browsers and devices they have become much more strict. I just tried in Firefox 10 and get the same problems.

Google IE9 anchor tag and you'll find many posts about this same problem.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 06:39:50 am »
No, same same.  Perhaps you just clicked on a "new" link that was near the top of the page.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »
I have become fond of the "home" and "end" buttons on my keyboard.

Clicking on the "last post" icon takes me to the first or second post of the last page. I don't think this is a browser issue.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 01:15:10 pm »
I just sent an email to the AHA IT staff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 04:13:00 pm »
I did some investigating of the problem . . .
The page I linked to had this URL
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11091.msg137880#new

This is the "APAs...AIPAs...Comp Yeast Strains?"  thread, correctly identified as topic=11091
However msg137880 doesn't exist on the page.

I've got: 137866 as the first message, followed by 137870, 137874, 137875, 137879, 137891, 137892, 137896, 137900

It can't go to message 137880 because it is not on the page, so it reverts to the top post.

Based on my recollection of the thread, the last post I read was 137879 - could it be as simple as it marking the "new post" in the url as the last post read +1?  This isn't correct, but if there was some logic that said "if msg# does not exist, go to the first message after msg#" then it would take you to the first new post.  And if it was expecting this logic but it got broken somehow, that would explain what we are seeing.

I could be completely wrong about how this works on the back end of course, I'm just making guesses.  But the url it is trying to link to doesn't exist.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »
Ok, clearly that is not exactly what is happening.

Another case:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11029.msg137806#new

Again, msg137806 doesn't exist on this page.

In this case I know the last message I read was 137787, and the newest message is 137906.  Note, 906, not 806.

I have no idea why it is messing up the number of the message it is supposed to go to.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »
No, same same.  Perhaps you just clicked on a "new" link that was near the top of the page.

You're right...it was just that. I still have the issue.
Ron Price

coolcindy

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your investigation into this matter. We've done some digging as well and read your notes. We feel the code in the forum for the page down link is good and as you all have discovered, seem to be a browser issue.

We think the fix should really happen on the browser end. Any fix, if we could discover the correct place(s) that the code would need to be modified, might cause the same issue in other browsers or for Firefox and others to not work when SMF pushes out an update.  We could be chasing our tail after every SMF update. Since this issue is resolvable by viewing in another browser, and an error hasn't been uncovered, I think we should wait and see if the next version of Firefox for Ubunto and others clears it up.
Cindy

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2012, 03:50:58 pm »
Thanks for looking into this, but wasn't it your change that made the difference?  Firefox and Safari used to work for me and now, since the newer version of the forum is up and running, they don't, right?  I was hoping that you'd find the difference from the old to the new version in this respect.

In the mean time if others have been able to use them normally and it's my settings that need to be adjusted, maybe one of those people could help me and others reset our browsers.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2012, 04:28:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your investigation into this matter. We've done some digging as well and read your notes. We feel the code in the forum for the page down link is good and as you all have discovered, seem to be a browser issue.

We think the fix should really happen on the browser end. Any fix, if we could discover the correct place(s) that the code would need to be modified, might cause the same issue in other browsers or for Firefox and others to not work when SMF pushes out an update.  We could be chasing our tail after every SMF update. Since this issue is resolvable by viewing in another browser, and an error hasn't been uncovered, I think we should wait and see if the next version of Firefox for Ubunto and others clears it up.
Cindy
i have a hard time figuring out how it is a browser issue when in my specific case it is looking for a message that does not exist on the page.  Details in these messages:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11015.msg137905#msg137905
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11015.msg137908#msg137908

It would seem the wrong URL is being delivered to the browser by the forum.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2012, 10:23:45 pm »
Forum working great...

Changes to forum software...

Forum no longer working great...

"Browser problems"...  really?

Why was the change to the new software made?  Are there improvements to the forum with the new software?  All I am seeing is problems with the new software.

Not meaning to be a troll.  Just a firm believer in, "If it works don't fix it."  Especially if the cure is worse than the disease.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2012, 06:23:28 am »
Forum working great...

Changes to forum software...

Forum no longer working great...

"Browser problems"...  really?

Why was the change to the new software made?  Are there improvements to the forum with the new software?  All I am seeing is problems with the new software.

Not meaning to be a troll.  Just a firm believer in, "If it works don't fix it."  Especially if the cure is worse than the disease.

+1