Author Topic: Go Down  (Read 54741 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
Re: Go Down
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »
Since we didn't see much in the way of front end improvements or changes I assume the upgrade was to implement back end administrative upgrades and/or new interface connections.  Things like better integration with the ever spouted "social media" world.  These types of things are as important and sometimes more important than front end changes.  I've upgraded many systems for these reasons and it is very frustrating to have some "minor to you" function break and cause an issue.

That being said, it's a little too "old Microsoft" to say I performed an upgrade and your unchanged browser broke it.  A big pile of old jokes come to mind when I hear things like that.

The code may be fine, the function may work in some random browser or in any browser once in a while but that doesn't make this type of problem a browser issue.  In my shop we would be checking every configuration file on the system against the same files on the old system.  Something changed and it's probably not directly involved in the issue that is presenting itself.  The vendor will always say "it has to be xxxx" because "they've never seen it before" and "you're only customer having this issue" until you prove it isn't, they have and you're not.

Sorry to rant about this but I've seen this little play performed too many times over my 25 years in IT.  These icky little annoying problems always take the longest to fix.

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
But if it's the forum software change that caused it, why am I not having any problems?  Feels like we're going around in circles....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
I no longer have any of the little faces to pick from, no bold, italic selections, etc. Not a big deal, but the new software doesn't offer anything additional, so overall it's a loss for me.

You may not be having a problem, because you log into a different area. I've seen this happen with other software.

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »
But if it's the forum software change that caused it, why am I not having any problems?  Feels like we're going around in circles....

To me, this should be a big clue as to where to look for the problem/solution.  What is the difference between what denny sees and what the rest of the population sees. 
I know, he's an old hippie and probably sees many things the rest of us don't see, but we're talking about browsers and stuff here.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2012, 12:11:07 PM »

Denny, you just brought up a good memory for me:  when my son was very young he would close his eyes and think that no one could see him.   ;)

I'm glad the forum is working for you.  It is not working properly for me, on any machine I access it with.

The question still remains; why was the software change made?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »

To me, this should be a big clue as to where to look for the problem/solution.  What is the difference between what denny sees and what the rest of the population sees. 
I know, he's an old hippie and probably sees many things the rest of us don't see, but we're talking about browsers and stuff here.
i agree, the fact that Denny is one of the few (only?) who sees the "theme" part of the profile is an indicator.  It may be because he is an admin, in which case what Denny sees should be ignored.  He's not a typical forum user.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
The other thing that has changed is when I click on the unread post bitton and then select one to view, the unread post box is now missing so I can't go back and retrieve another one to view. I can use the back button, but then the previous post is still there. It really has been marked as read, but the back button doesn't refresh the screen to show that.

As I said earlier, I think administrators may not be having trouble, because of how they are logged in.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »
When I have time in the next couple days, I'll set up a non admin account and see what happens.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
When I have time in the next couple days, I'll set up a non admin account and see what happens.

Thanks for looking into it.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »
The Tubercle is not having any problems.

Firefox, Chrome, Android2 or IE 9.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »

Now that's just weird.  Why would it be working for The Tubercle and not for the rest of us?  Does The Tubercle have some strange powers over internet browsers?  ::)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »

Now that's just weird.  Why would it be working for The Tubercle and not for the rest of us?  Does The Tubercle have some strange powers over internet browsers?  ::)

To clarify.
The Tubercle is not having any problems with the features it uses. Posting, quoting, replys, unread and messages.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
To clarify.
The Tubercle is not having any problems with the features it uses. Posting, quoting, replys, unread and messages.

Yes, but... it rubs the lotion on its skin?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline linenoiz

• Cellarman
  • West Valley City, UT
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
There is a very good chance that the problem lies in the custom theme that the rest of us are using. Based on the screen shot you posted a while back, you are using the default SMF theme (Curve). The theme the rest of us are using changes the HTML code produced and could be responsible for the malfunction the rest of us are seeing.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
To clarify.

Yes, but... it rubs the lotion on its skin?

If we can't laugh...we might as well go home.  ;)

Too funny  8)
Ron Price