FYI to compensate for the lack of a blue cooler I'm wearing a Pike Brewing Company shirt and listening to old episodes of Brew Strong.
So, lessons learned:
-I ended up with 8 gallons of wort...1.5 gallons more than I wanted. I took what beersmith gave me for mash and sparge values and halved them but ended up with at least .5 gallons more per batch than I needed.
-I confused pre-boil gravity with original gravity. So when the measured pre-boil gravity was way lower than I thought it should be, I added some DME to bring it up. The end result wasn't bad. I would have needed to add DME anyway.
-First all-grain brews should NOT be imperial IPA's! LOL!