Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: That extract "twang"  (Read 22460 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: That extract "twang"
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 11:11:31 pm »
Fermentation temp could be a factor.  But try a different brand of extract, or DME if you're using LME, and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another thing that crossed my mind for the favor I may be getting:  not boiling my tap water the night before.  I filter my water through a PUR brand filter on my faucet, then let it sit overnight.  Maybe I should boil too or maybe the filter is doing the trick?  Or am I just getting extract twang?  If its the water treatment (or lack of) what flavor would I notice in my beer as opposed to flavor caused by extract?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »
Why not just use a campden tablet when you fill your brew kettle? It knocks the chlorine right out.

Your water isn't the problem.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmaster_cannon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »
Perhaps I missed somebody else already saying this, but I do believe most of the "twang" is often attributed to old LME.  Older liquid extracts often have bad off flavors along with being far darker than the original color.

Also Cidery flavors as said above can be attributed to poorly made extracts with too much sugar.  Also bad brewing practices as given by kits (like mr. beer) can lead to cidery flavors as well.