Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: smaller batches  (Read 4635 times)

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
smaller batches
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:01:18 am »
I have a couple of three gallon better bottles, and was considering doing half batches of experimental recipes.  I can brew more often because I won't have as much beer to get through.  it should be safe to simply cut any recipe in half, correct?  I'm looking at a strong CDA recipe, so it will be about 12# of grains for three gallons.  will I have any difficulty kegging these smaller batches in my five gallon cornies?  should I plan to bottle condition instead?
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: smaller batches
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:07 am »
You can just cut the recipe in half.

No problem kegging, just be sure to purge the ambient air out with CO2.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:27 am »
CDA's...CDA's...I do not know of these Cross Dressing Amateurs you speak of...

You're going to do 2.5 gallon batches in 3 gallon better bottles?  You might want a blow off tube.  I do 3-4 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys, works like a charm.  Don't use blow off tubes at all.
Jesse

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:05 am »
I think he meant VBA ;)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:11 am »

... You're going to do 2.5 gallon batches in 3 gallon better bottles?  You might want a blow off tube.  I do 3-4 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys, works like a charm.  Don't use blow off tubes at all.

Same here.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:45:31 am »
I only do 3 gallon batches and usually have about 3.25-3.5 gallons fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy.  I've never had to use a blow off tube, but if you are going to be using 3 gallon carboy for 2.5, they there is a good chance you'll need a blow off tube.  Just cut all your ingredients in half except for your yeast.  I don't change my yeast and in most of the time I don't need to make a starter w/ any liquid yeast.  I use Beersmith, which has a scale button, to change a 5 gallon recipe to a 3 gallon one.  As for kegging, the only issue you'll have is that it will just take a little more gas to fill up the extra space.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:37 am »
sounds like I'll save my three gallon better bottles for secondary and dry-hopping.  thanks for the feedback, guys!
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline hike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
I do 2.5 gallon batches in 3 gallon BB's all the time. I keep a blow-off tube handy but rarely need it. I do tend to ferment on the cooler side though. If you are really worried about it you can use fermcap. I've only  had one near accident and that was with a Belgian yeast if I recall.

As others said, yes you can generally just halve your recipe. I like using BeerSmith's scale tool though as I can also compensate for my equipment and differences in efficiency easily.

Offline velkyal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:59:31 am »

You're going to do 2.5 gallon batches in 3 gallon better bottles?  You might want a blow off tube.  I do 3-4 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys, works like a charm.  Don't use blow off tubes at all.

I think he meant American Style East India Porter! ;)

Due to space restrictions all my batches are 2.5 gallon in a 3 gallon carboy and yes a blowoff tube is very useful - once is quite enough with cleaning krausen out of the nooks and crannies off my utility room.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 04:16:24 am »
I've been OK with a 3gal carboy at times, if its not a Belgian yeast and the wort's not real high OG (which it is in your particular case).  This is especially if you aren't terribly concerned about getting a full 2.5gal, yu can leave the trub behind and have enough room.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 09:00:12 am »
I've been OK with a 3gal carboy at times, if its not a Belgian yeast and the wort's not real high OG (which it is in your particular case).  This is especially if you aren't terribly concerned about getting a full 2.5gal, yu can leave the trub behind and have enough room.

+1

It depends on the yeast...if using an American Ale yeast, English Ale yeasts or making lagers it'll probably be okay. A few drops of Fermcap will really help here.
Ron Price