Author Topic: bio-Jason Camerlengo  (Read 7249 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
bio-Jason Camerlengo
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »

Home Town (City, State): Sharon, Pennsylvania

Homebrew Club: Thinking about starting my own. Nothing around here!

I've been a homebrewer since: January 2009

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? Oh Lots! My false bottom came disconnected once right at the start of sparging so I had to put a trash bag around my arm and reach down into 154 degree mash and hook the thing back up to get things going along, that seemed to be the most comical of the bunch!

What is your favorite style(s) to brew? Hefeweizen, American IPA's and  Belgians.

What style(s) will you never brew? I've brewed around 70 of the styles! I'll probably never do the flanders styles since I dont want to buy new equipment and dedicate solely to that style since I already have dedicated lambic equipment.

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  Jamil's Black Scapular Dubbel recipe partial mashed.  Never did a kit.  It turned out pretty good, belgian yeast is forgiving in terms of temperature so I was pleased with it.

What is your favorite beer recipe? My own Hefeweizen and American IPA seem to empty out kegs the quickest.

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? Finished building my Brutus 10 a few months ago and my brew days have become much more relaxing. AS for one gadget I'd have to say my BeerGun, gotta love being able to bottle off 5 kegs in one day without much effort.

Describe your brew system. Full blown Brutus 10 with converted sankey kegs running off propane with 24v honeywell gas valves. Its a joy to brew on.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  I do 10 gallons every weekend except for maybe 3 or 4 weekends a year. Gota give the other half some vacation weekends!

What is your favorite malt?  Why? Special B. Love the flavor it gives to a wide variety of beer styles.

What is your favorite hop? Why? Simcoe! I dont know why but as far as American varieties go, I love Simcoe. Too bad theres always a shortage on these things.

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast? I use Wyeast London ESB the most often. It just works in so many styles. Also Wyeast HellaBock or White Labs bock lager is probably the greatest lager strain ever created.

If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? hmmm...does Jamil and Gordon Strong and Randy Mosher count as someone famous? Id love to serve them some of "signature" beers and get quality feedback.

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? I havent anything too exotic yet.  Although Ive recently discovered powdered peanut butter thats fat free out there and am considering a peanut butter cup stout or something.

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? Nope. Had a cat but he was around before my brewing days.

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? Just sent away 4 entries to my first comp the other day. Waiting on the results!

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Always have my uncle with me. He can fix/rig anything!

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Does a heated garage count as  outdoor?

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? Heff-hefeweizen. Artificial Intelligence-AmIPA.  Utter Stout-Milk Stout. Trouble's Brewin'-RIS. Fuggin IPA-English IPA using all fuggles(sorry Denny! I like em!)
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.