Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish Ale, Oak and Brett.?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
Scottish Ale, Oak and Brett.?
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:23 am »
I have a 3gal oak barrel that I've been using for sour beers. I don't sanitize it; I simply rack whatever is in it out and rack the new in. What if I racked in a primary fermented Scottish Ale on top of the Brett. c. and Brett. l. leftovers in the oak barrel? Would this be worth it or would it just be terrible? Any experiences?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Scottish Ale, Oak and Brett.?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:12:24 am »
While Ive never done it, I can say I think the maltiness of a Scottish Ale would compliment well. Go for it! Nothing experimented nothing gained. Ill be happy to sample the beer for you if you wanna send one over ;)
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:27:24 am »
Be kind of a take on a Flanders beer, brown at first and then red as it gets more sour.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:50 am »
I think I'll do a 5 gal batch and split it - 3gal in the barrel and the other ~2 bottled w/o the barrel. Then I can compare. If any is worth sending, It'll come your way.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:42:01 am »
Awesome! Ill be happy to return the favor!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.